Pfeffernüsse cookies are the German Spice Christmas cookie, similar to gingerbread. A perfect dry biscuit that pairs well with a warm mug of tea or coffee as well as a cold glass of milk. This aromatic cookie may even remind you a bit of Italian biscotti.
This Pfeffernüsse cookie recipe is sure to be a hit at your Christmas cookie exchange or anytime you’re craving some spicy gingerbread. Just make sure you have enough to share after you nibble a few…
Pfeffernüsse Cookie Recipe Ingredients
1 cup Confectioners sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp water
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) butter
2 tbsp superfine sugar (caster sugar)
4 tbsp honey
1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground pepper
Pfeffernüsse Cookie Recipe Steps
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F
- Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Mix your glaze ingredients in a small bowl and set aside
- In a saucepan, over low heat, melt the butter, sugar and honey together until well incorporated
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool slightly while you mix dry ingredients in separate bowl
- In a large mixing bowl combine your dry ingredients
- Add your butter/sugar/honey mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until a smooth dough forms
- Scoop out dough to make 3/4 inch balls
- Bake about 20 minutes (cookies should look dry)
- Using a spoon or pastry brush, drizzle the glaze over warm cookies
- Serve your Pfeffernüsse cookies with a warm beverage or a tall glass of cold milk. I prefer mine with a large mug of coffee.
Yields about 4 dozen cookies depending on your scoop size.
Variation: Top your glaze with some finely chopped nuts of your liking. If you search you’ll find many variations of Pfeffernüsse cookie recipe so don’t be afraid to play with your spices or add a little orange zest into your cookies!