Slow cooker corned beef and cabbage makes it easy for everyone to be a touch Irish this St. Patrick’s Day! You’ll have all the flavor and elements of the traditional meal; with the ease of slow cooking in your crock pot. You’re going to love it so much you may want it when it’s not even St Patty’s Day!
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage – Ingredients
I always recommend you use organic veggies and grass-fed beef.
- 1 lbs of baby carrots, washed and left whole
- 8 – 10 red baby potatoes, scrub, but don’t peel and leave whole
- Large white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth (you can replace with just 1 cup water if unavailable)
- 3 cups water
- 4 lbs corned beef with spice package (you may need to cut in half to fit in your slow cooker)
- 6 oz of beer
- 1 head of green cabbage, roughly chopped (reserved for the last hour of cooking)
- 6 quart crock pot
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage – Directions
- Add your baby carrots, potatoes and onion to the bottom of the slow cooker
- Pour your broth and water over the veggies
- Place the corned beef over the veggies
- Pour your beer over the beef
- Spread the spices out over the corned beef, as evenly as possible
- Put the lid on and cook high (yes high) for 7 hours
- After 7 hours add your cabbage and cook for another 30 – 60 minutes, depending on how tender you want your cabbage
- Take the meat out and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing
- Time to EAT!
- Serve with a grainy mustard, Irish Soda Bread and try not to eat it all in one setting!
Tip: If you are lucky enough to have leftovers make yourself a corned beef on some hearty rye bread, for lunch the next day.
I’m hungry just typing this – enjoy this simple slow cooker corned beef and cabbage (we will!).