Calendula salve is one of the most skin healing salves that I have in my house. It is wonderful for extremely dry skin, eczema, for nursing moms, diaper rashes and so much more. Calendula is antiseptic(prevents disease-causing microorganisms from growing), so the salve can be very healing for minor burns, skin ulcers, bruises, bed sores and just makes the skin feel great.
This creamy calendula salve has 2 simple ingredients (3 if you prefer it to be firmer). You can adjust the amount of the ingredients for larger batches and distribute it into several smaller containers. I think you’ll reach for this creamy salve before any other night cream or dry-skin remedy.
The second ingredient is mango butter. Mango butter is very hydrating and nourishing to the skin. Just like calendula is aids in repairing dry skin, eczema and even dermatitis. Mango butter is also said to have anti-aging qualities; so this salve could help to reduce wrinkle and fine lines.
There is nothing quite like making your own healing salves and lotions. You know exactly what is in them, no chemicals you aren’t familiar with and can’t pronounce; and you can feel comfortable sharing them with your friends and family. Don’t be surprised if they ask you for a jar of their own!
This is a simple salve to start with, if you’re a beginner.
Creamy Calendula Salve – Ingredients
4 ounces of Mango Butter (I like this brand)
Creamy Calendula Salve – Directions
- Gently heat the calendula oil on low to low-medium. You don’t want to heat it on a high because it can destroy the healing properties of the oil itself.
- Cut up the mango butter into smaller pieces
- Add the mango butter to the heated oil and allow it to melt completely. You can stir it with a wooden spoon to help it along.
- Pour your Creamy Calendula Salve into a glass jar or tin container
- If you find that the consistency is not firm enough for your taste try melting in an ounce of bees wax (like this)
In the summer I like to keep some in the refrigerator for a refreshing lotion! I hope you enjoy as much as we do.