Using diatomaceous earth has many benefits for the homesteader. From pest control to food storage to gardening and health; you’ll be amazed at what this powder can do for you!
So what the heck is Diatomaceous Earth?
It’s BABIES! Well plankton babies that is. More to the point, food grade diatomaceous earth is a fine powder made from the fossils of phytoplankton. DE has a strong negative ionic charge, attracting positively charged ions (good things happen). It is also high in silica which promotes strong bones and teeth as well as healthy skin, nails and hair. It is also an incredibly hard substance, not far under diamonds – which has amazing benefits for us as well!
When I talk about using diatomaceous earth (DE) I am referring only to the food grade quality and type. So for the purposes of this article, food grade diatomaceous earth is all I am talking about; do not attempt to use any other type of DE in these manners. Please note that industrial grade DE is toxic to both you and your animals.
Using Diatomaceous Earth – Home & Garden
Diatomaceous earth is a natural and effective means of pest control.
- Bed bugs
- Slugs and snails
Use around your windows and entrances to repel bugs. Sprinkle around garden beds but be aware it can harm beneficial bugs too so use it with caution. You can even use DE on fire ant hills to rid yourself of these little demons without laying poison in places your kids, pets and livestock may be.
Having trouble with pests in your compost? Try adding a little DE to the pile!
- Protect your food storage with DE (source)
- Deodorize in and around the home (garbage cans, carpets, etc)
- Instantly absorbs liquids – great for spills
- Fridge deodorizer
- You can even make chemical free cleaners (like a toilet scrubber) with DE
Using Diatomaceous Earth – Animals
- Rid your animals of fleas
- Kiss those mites and lice in chickens goodbye (um, please don’t really kiss them…gross)
- Aids in removing ticks safely
- Internal pest control (natural wormer)
- Keep pens, barns, even kitty litter cleaner and fresher with a little DE
Remember diatomaceous earth can be both a lung and eye irritant so take steps to protect yourself and animals when using it.
Using Diatomaceous Earth – People
Diatomaceous earth can be good for people too!
- improve digestive health
- bowel movements more regular
- cholesterol reducing
- clearer skin
- improved dental health
- stronger and healthier nails and hair
- reduce arthritis, join and muscle pain
- help with skin conditions like burns, bites and rashes
- help control Candida levels
You can use DE to make all kinds of personal health items too:
Are you using diatomaceous earth on your homestead? Tell me how it is working for you, in the comments!
Disclaimer: I am not a vet or a healthcare practitioner. This article is for informational purposes and it is assumed you’ll do your own research and consultations.