I love this Old Fashioned Drop Biscuit Recipe – it is my go-to for a weekend brunch; and I never have leftovers. Making homemade biscuits are not only tastier but you can feel better about the ingredients you’re choosing; and that always makes for yummier food. Once you’ve seen how easy these are to make and taste the goodness, you’ll never want biscuits from a can again!
These drop biscuits are perfect for a country gravy or your homemade jam. The trick to making them look as good as they taste is an ice cream scoop…easy peasy my friends.
Seriously, I’m hungry just thinking about these babies.
Old Fashioned Drop Biscuit Recipe
The Very Best Old Fashioned Drop Biscuit Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 stick of melted butter - cool just a bit before adding
- 4 - 6 tablespoons butter reserved to drizzle on baked biscuits (optional)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Ice Cream Scoop
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper
- In your large mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar
- In your smaller mixing bowl combine the cooled melted butter and the cold buttermilk
- Add the liquid to your dry ingredients
- Mix and use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides
- Use your ice cream scoop to make round heaps of the batter on your parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake 12 - 15 minutes, until the tops are golden brown
- Drizzle with the reserved melted butter, or get fancy and use a pastry brush for more even coverage
And that’s the drop biscuit recipe you’ll be using from now on! Try not to eat them all by yourself!
So what is your favorite way to enjoy a biscuit?