It’s hard to believe that when we are out of tortillas, we head to the store to buy them. Well, that’s a thing of the past because now you can make your own tortillas at home, and it will be the most amazing thing you’ve ever done. Part of being self-reliant and creating a life where you rely on yourself is making your own items from scratch. This Homemade Corn Tortilla recipe is literally so easy, you’ll wonder why you’ve never made it before?
Want to make Homemade Flour Tortillas? I think you’ll love my recipe!
What are Tortillas?
Perhaps you’ve used tortillas before, but you didn’t actually know what they are, this is simple. Mostly known in the Mexican cooking world, tortillas are used to make tacos. However, it’s simply a flour mixture that’s flattened and filled with something. Tortillas are an inexpensive way to feed your family.
Ingredients Used to Make This Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipe
If you planned on making tortillas from home, you may be wondering WHAT these homemade tortillas are made out of. That is simple!
- All-purpose flour – In order to make tortillas, you are going to need all-purpose flour. This can be found at almost any grocery store.
- Yellow cornmeal – Another item you’re going to need to make homemade corn tortillas is yellow cornmeal.
- Vegetable oil – A very inexpensive ingredient in this recipe is vegetable oil. You’re going to need this oil to make baking tortillas super easy.
- Water and salt – Two very simple ingredients that you need to make tortillas from home are water and salt.
How to Make Tortillas From Home
- Gather all your ingredients from the list.
- Take a pan and preheat it on the stove.
- Grab a medium bowl and start mixing your ingredients according to the recipe.
- Take the dough and divide it into ten pieces.
- If you have a tortilla press, you’re going to follow the directions to flatten the tortillas.
- Cook each tortilla in the skillet and cook according to the directions.
- Follow the directions until ALL the tortillas are cooked!
After you cook homemade corn tortillas, you can place them in an airtight container and leave them at room temperature for around 12 hours. However, after that time period is up, you’ll want to go ahead and place the container in the fridge. If you don’t place them in the fridge, they can become super moldy. We don’t want to waste good tortillas.
Freezer options: Place tortillas in between wax paper individually to keep them from sticking. The freezer is a fantastic way to keep these tortillas as long as you’d like. I like to label each batch, so I use up the older batch first.
How to Keep Homemade Tortillas Soft
Keeping homemade corn tortillas soft is easier than you think. Place them in a plastic bag and put them in the fridge. Whenever you take them out of the fridge, they will be soft and ready to use!
What to Serve with Corn Tortillas?
Do you plan on making this Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipe? If so, let me know in the comment section how it turns out!
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipe
- 1 1/3 cups All-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup Yellow cornmeal
- 4 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
Preheat your skillet to medium low heat.
In a medium size bowl, add in your ingredients.
Knead with a stand mixer, or with your hands, until fully incorporated.
Divide your dough into 10 pieces. Should come to be about 40 grams per piece. Roll each section into a small.
Place your dough between to pieces of parchment paper. Press down on the dough to flatten using a tortilla press, your hands, or even between a cutting board. You want to get it to be as flat as you can without ripping a hole.
Carefully remove your flat tortilla from between the parchment.
Place in your skillet and cook for about 1 minute each side, or until brown spots appear.
Transfer to your serving plate, and continue he steps 4 to 6 until all of your dough is cooked!
Serve and enjoy!