How to make homemade almond extract – it is easier than you think! I love to make my own extracts. Not only do they taste better, I know what’s in that bottle (how about 2 ingredients!). Making extracts aren’t difficult and once you start making them, you’ll be hooked. I also love to give them away to friends who cook and bake; they love them.
How to Make Homemade Almond Extract
Ingredients to make one pint of Homemade Almond Extract
15 raw almonds, blanched (directions following)
2 cups of 80 proof vodka
1 pint sized mason jar
Jar/s for long term storage of your extract
Directions to make one pint of Homemade Almond Extract
- Blanch your raw almonds
Take your 15 almonds and put them into a pot of boiling for for EXACTLY one minute. Drain quickly and rinse with cold water. Lay almonds out on a paper towel to cool. The skins should look shriveled. Once come cool enough to touch you should be able to just squeeze the almonds from the skins (discard skins). Then put them on another paper towel and allow them to finish drying.
- Rough chop your blanched almonds and place those in the pint jar.
- Pour your vodka over the chopped almonds and put on the lid securely.
- Now give it a shake and place it in a cool dark place (under a cabinet or in a closet).
- Allow your extract mixture to sit for at least 6 weeks (8 weeks for max flavor). But be sure to give the bottle a shake every other day while it sits.
- Strain your finished homemade almond extract through a coffee filter or cheese cloth and bottle it for future use. You can keep the entire extract in a mason jar or put into small amber bottles for gifts. Make sure to label them so you don’t get them mixed up with your other homemade extracts.
Now you can use your homemade almond extract to make my yummy Gluten Free Almond Poppy Seed Bread!
Want to make more extracts? Check out my recipe for Vanilla Extract!