Baked beans are a classic summer dish, but they can be enjoyed all year round. With an Instant Pot, you can have tender and delicious baked beans in a fraction of the time it would take to make them on the stove. Plus, you can customize the recipe to your liking by adding in your favorite ingredients. Let’s check out this Instant Pot Baked Beans recipe, together!
What are baked beans?
Baked beans are a type of bean dish made with pinto beans, bacon, onions, and other seasonings. They have a thick sauce and can be served as either a side dish or a main course.
- Bacon – You will need about 6-8 slices of bacon, diced.
- Minced garlic – You can use fresh or jarred minced garlic, depending on your preference.
- Northern beans – This is an important ingredient, as it gives the beans their classic taste and texture.
- Diced green bell pepper – You can also use red or yellow bell pepper, depending on your preference.
- Tomato sauce – You can use any type of tomato sauce, but make sure it is a good quality sauce.
- Brown sugar – This is what gives the baked beans their sweetness. You can use dark or light brown sugar, depending on your preference.
Make sure you check out the recipe card for the complete list of ingredients and steps.
Variations for Instant Pot Baked Beans
There are several ways that you can customize this baked beans recipe, including:
- Add in your favorite herbs and spices, such as chili powder or smoked paprika.
- Use canned beans instead of dried beans to save time.
- Choosing different types of beans, such as kidney beans or black beans.
No matter how you customize your baked beans, they are sure to be delicious and perfect for summertime grilling or as a tasty snack any time of year. Give the recipe a try today!
Other Instant Pot Recipes to Make:
Success Tips for Making Baked Beans in the Instant Pot
If you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe to whip up, then listen up: Baked beans are the answer!
- Use dried beans instead of canned for the best results. Soak them overnight before cooking to speed up the process.
- Add a little bit of fat to help the beans cook evenly and prevent them from sticking to the pot.
- Season the beans with your favorite spices and aromatics before cooking. This will infuse them with flavor and make them extra tasty!
- Be sure to cook the beans on high pressure for the best results. This will ensure that they cook evenly and come out perfectly tender.
- Let the beans naturally release for 10 minutes before quickly releasing the pressure. This will help to prevent them from overcooking and becoming mushy.
FAQ for Instant Pot Baked Beans
What are some good sides to serve with baked beans?
Some tasty options for serving alongside baked beans include coleslaw, corn on the cob, or a fresh salad. You could also try adding in some cooked ground meat or sliced sausage for a heartier dish.
How can I modify this recipe to make it more nutritious?
To make your Instant Pot baked beans more nutritious, you can try adding in some healthy additions like fresh or frozen vegetables, whole grains such as quinoa or brown rice, and lean protein sources such as tofu. Additionally, consider using low-sodium tomato sauce or seasoning the dish with sea salt instead of regular table salt.
How do I know when the baked beans are done cooking?
The beans should be tender and the sauce should be thickened when fully cooked. You can check for doneness by piercing a bean with a fork or taste-testing one of the larger beans in the pot. If it is soft and easily mashed, then they are done.
Baked beans are a type of bean dish that is made with pinto beans, bacon, onions, and other seasonings. The dish has a thick sauce and can be served as either a side dish or a main course. There are several ways that you can customize this recipe to make it more flavorful and suited to your own tastes. Have you ever made Instant Pot Baked Beans, what did you think?
More Bean Recipes:
Instant Pot Baked Beans
- 1 12 ounce package of Bacon
- 4 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 lb great northern beans, rinsed, dried
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup cup of honey
- 1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1/3 cup Brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups water, divided
Cut the bacon into bite size pieces and toss into the instant pot on sauté mode.
Sauté the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon and set aside.
Keep tablespoons of bacon grease in the Instant Pot.
Add the beans, vegetables, spices, vinegar, Worcestershire, garlic and 3 1/2 cups of water and pressure cook on high for 50 minutes.
Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes after finished cooking.
Add the honey, brown sugar, bacon and tomato sauce. Place on sauté mode and bring it to boil.
In a cup, mix the cornstarch and remaining water into a slurry.
Stire the slurry into the boiling beans.
Let sit and cool before serving.