Do you have a toxic dryer? We all do laundry. It is just part of our lives; if you’re like me it is part of every day. But I don’t think most of us think about what we are cleaning and drying our clothes, sheets and towels with each load.
Now, I like to make my own laundry soap and I’m always looking for more natural ingredients. I hang out my laundry to dry most of the year (thank you Phoenix). But sometimes you just don’t want to hang the laundry or you want to soften up those towels…but I ask you, is your dryer toxic?
Is Your Dryer Toxic?
Here is what I found out about those dryer sheets that most of us use: They are filled with chemicals that make us sick!
Toxic Dryer Sheet Ingredients
- A-Terpineol – Links to serious respiratory issues, life threatening edema and central nervous system disturbances.
- Benzyl Acetate – Links to pancreatic cancer.
- Benzyl Alcohol – Linked to upper respiratory issues.
- Camphor – Can damage the central nervous system.
- Chloroform – A neurotoxin that is also linked to cancers…not to mention it can knock you out.
- Ethanol – Long term effects on the cells of the gastrointestinal, urinary, cardiovascular, and nervous system. Not to mention this is considered hazardous waste by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Ethyl Acetate – Another item on the EPA waste list that cause disturbances to the body when inhaled (how many times have you smelled a dryer sheet?)
- Limonene – Carcinogenic.
- Linalool – Linked to central nervous system disorders.
- Pentane – When inhaled it can cause causes headaches, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, and even loss of consciousness. Continual exposure (as in regular use) can cause long term central nervous system damage.
Quite a list, right? Nothing like a little cancer and central nervous system damage with our soft, static free laundry?
BUT FREE NOT! There are some wonderful alternatives to these poison sheets!
Toxic Dryer Sheet Alternatives
- Woolzies Dryer Balls – soft and static free while 100% natural. You can add your own scents with essential oils
- Make your own wool dryer balls – there are DIY instructions for this all over pinterest.
- Hang the laundry out – won’t be as soft but still static free and you’ll save money!
- DIY Eco-Friendly Dryer Sheets! Check out the directions here.
Not only are these options healthier for you – they are healthier for our environment.