Keto breakfast bites are practically perfect and a great meal for busy mornings or on the run! I know many of you work outside jobs, have kiddos and a ton going on in the morning;so you can meal prep these Keto breakfast bites ahead of time and reheat as needed. You can even freeze these babies for later. We have been eating Keto since my weight loss surgery last August. But I guarantee you’ll like these even if you aren’t eating a low carb / high fat diet. These breakfast bites are gluten free too so my celiac friends will be able to enjoy them too.
My husband and I both found that these tasted very close to the sausage balls I used to make with baking mix…back in the day.
I made these Keto breakfast bites with sausage but you can sub pretty much any meat you and your family prefer. It may change the nutritional value a bit (I’ve included the one for this below). You can use My Fitness Pal to calculate your macros if you change up the meats. Also feel free to use whatever shredded cheese you have on hand.
Keto Breakfast Bites Perfect On the Run Meal
Why Are You Eating Keto?
That’s a fair question. We had been eating a more gluten-free / Paleo way of eating for years. Unfortunately my weight stayed high because I still gravitated to high carb foods and meals. After having the vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG) I was advised to lead with protein and I started to just naturally gravitate to a more Keto way of eating. I saw HUGE differences in my health and in the health of my husband and 2 girls still at home. I have the blood work of a teenager! I highly recommend doing some research of your own on the Keto life and eating. Some of my favorite resources are Simply Keto and The Keto Reset Diet. If you like to watch informational YouTube videos you should check out Dr. Ken Berry’s channel for lots of information.
We eat a whole food, humanely raised (even if we don’t do it ourselves), organic Keto diet. I try to steer clear of fake / processed foods, especially chemical sweeteners.
But You Do Not Have to be Keto To Enjoy This Recipe!
My 12 year old is not strictly Keto and she LOVES these!
To make these you’ll need a mini muffin pan. I used this pan from Wilton because I prefer not to cook with silicon – but use what you have. I greased my mini muffin pan with olive oil spray but you can use liners if you prefer. Ok, lets get to the cooking!
Keto Breakfast Bites – Ingredients
- 16 oz of sugar-free pork sausage, cooked ( we get ours from Butcher Block and it is amazing )
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter (I highly recommend Kerrygold if you don’t have access to raw milk to make your own)
- 9 tablespoons of blanched almond flour ( like this )
- 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 3 oz shredded cheese ( I used a Mexican Style Blend for these )
- Seasoning to your taste (I don’t find it needs anything really)
Keto Breakfast Bites – Directions
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
- Grease your mini muffin pan
- Cook your sausage and set aside to cool a bit (I do not drain it when I make it)
- Melt your butter and let it cool while you’re mixing the other ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl combine your almond flour, baking powder, eggs, sour cream and shredded cheese
- Mix well then add your melted butter
- Once the butter is mixed in, add your cooked sausage and mix again
- Use the Keto breakfast bite batter to fill up your mini muffin pan, I filled them about 90% up and was able to get 29 total muffins
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until the muffins have risen, set and are golden brown on the top
- Pop them out and enjoy or pack some up for the refrigerator and heat up as needed.
I’ve never been able to keep these around for more than a day or two because they are a great snack as well as a breakfast. I love the topped with some hot sauce or a little salsa. Enjoy!