Low Carb / Keto Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin
I must be on a cheese kick…see Grain-Free Mac ‘n Cheese. Tonight’s delish dish is Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin. I love squashes of all kind but spaghetti squash is one of my favorites because it is so versatile. I love to use it in place of noodles with sauce on it…YUM. This has been a lifesaver in our switch to paleo/primal.
Now onto the the recipe!!!
It should be said that if you don’t use a large squash the other ingredients could be reduced, but this was it at my store today. We have a TON of leftovers even with 2nds. This could easily feed 6-8 as a side.
Low Carb and Keto Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin
- 1 large Spaghetti Squash
- 1 cup Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup of Pepper Jack Cheese for topping
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 3 cloves Grated Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- Pepper to Taste
- Butter for pan
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pierce whole spaghetti squash and microwave it for 10 - 12 minutes. If you don't want to microwave it you can bake it whole in the oven at 375 for about an hour. *NEW* we gave up our microwave and I now cook this in the Instant Pot!
- Remove it carefully from the microwave, cut it in 1/2 and let it cool for 5 or 10 minutes (your fingers will thank you.
- Gently scrape out the seeds (I feed them to the chickens after they cool)
- Using a fork start scrape out the "meat" into strands.
- In a separate bowl mix sour cream, 1 cup of cheese, grated garlic, salt and pepper.
- Butter a 13 x 9 baking dish
- Add the cheese & sour cream mixture to the spaghetti squash and gently mix until fully incorporated.
- Spread the mixture into the butter pan.
- Put in the oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top and bake another 5 - 8 minutes until melted and a little browned.