We love mac and cheese! But since we eat mainly grain free I needed a grain free mac and cheese. Now admittedly, we don’t usually do this much dairy but I have been craving macaroni and cheese like crazy! Sometimes a girl just needs the cheese…
I have seen many grain free mac and cheese recipes but none of them have really sounded that great to me. I stumbled onto a recipe this week on Facebook but I don’t have any information on the original creator, sorry. I tweaked to what was in the Davis house and what I know the kids will eat.
Well this grain free mac and cheese got a resounding THUMBS-UP from the whole crew! It turned out so well and was so easy that I may add this to the holiday meals this year…yeah it was that good!
Grain-free Mac and Cheese
24 oz Cauliflower Florets (2 bags from Trader Joe’s)
1 cup Colby Jack Cheese, shredded
1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1/4 cup of Pecorino Ramano & Parmesan Blend (at Trader Joe’s…use what you have if you don’t have the blend)
8 oz block of cream cheese (I didn’t soften it and it SHOULD BE)
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 slice of bacon cooked and chopped
1 – 2 cloves of garlic grated (I used 2 & it was strong, but we like garlic)
Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Steam your cauliflower to fork tender, about 5 minutes
- Cream together the shredded cheeses, cheese blend and cream cheese with cauliflower steams
- Drain your cauliflower, break up the floret so they are smaller pieces and add it to the cheese mixture*
- Add bacon and garlic to the mixture
- Pepper to taste
- Put the mixture in a glass baking dish
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes
- After baking I broiled it for about 1-2 minutes to get a nice crust on the top.
- Don’t plan for leftovers 😉
*You could completely mash the cauliflower for more of a load mashed potato feel.