Stock up in December for big savings on groceries and more! Tis the season to overspend, but it doesn’t (and shouldn’t) be that way. We can stock up in December on pantry items AND gift items. Remember before you plan out your stock up in December, you want to have space for your extra items! This is a great time of the year to put some staples in your pantry that you can use over the next few months too.
So whether you are you stocking up for emergency, gifts or just to have extra for a rainy day, this December stock up list should help you out.
Remember, if you have discounted items you won’t use but can afford to buy (or get free), you can donate them to your local charities!
Stock Up In December For Big Savings
Stocking Up Tips To Remember!
- Remember sales have cycles and stores will post lost-leaders (losing money on an item) to get you into the store in hopes that you’ll buy more.
- Make sure you need it!
- Check your available space – where are you going to store your December stock up items?
- Make a list of everything you are looking for and don’t be tempted by impulse buys!
- Make sure the food items you buy have the latest expiration date OR make sure earlier dates get put to the front of your pantry.
- Buy items that have multiple purposes for you, your pets or your home.
- Plan to shop at several stores for the best deals.
- Always check online for deals with free shipping.
- Have a set budget for December stock up items so you aren’t over-spending. Even a good deal should be passed up if you can’t pay your bills!
- Consider purchasing an inexpensive Food Saver to increase your storage time and put things is smaller increments; great for big bulk buying and work for pantry, refrigerator and freezer.
- Check store coupons – many stores will accept competitor prices and coupons!
- Don’t go into debt! If you have to use a credit card to get these items then you really aren’t saving yourself any money in the long run.
Stock Up in December List
Thanksgiving Clearance Items
- Fall table settings
- Fall home decor
- Paper goods with a Fall or Thanksgiving theme
- Thanksgiving food / pantry items. Just make sure that you check those expiration dates on non-perishable items (most will be pretty far out).
- Turkey – they’ll be rock bottom on 12/1. According to the USDA turkeys can be kept frozen in the freezer indefinitely; however, cook within 1 year for best quality.
Check out Stock Up in November for more items that are still inexpensive in early December!
Christmas Seasonal Item – These will get lower after Christmas but you can still get some great deals all month long!
- Frozen pies and treats
- Baking Items like spices flour, sugar, mixes, condensed and evaporated milks, crusts, baking power and soda, non-stick sprays, nuts, chocolate chips.
- Appetizer / Snack Foods like chips, crackers, dips, dip mixes, sour cream
- Canned and Boxed Items like instant potatoes, Jell-O, canned fruits and vegetables, sauces and beans
Christmas Dinner and Holiday Party Items
Stock up In December on these food items that you can freeze or refrigerate!
- Turkeys (see above)
- Butter (it freezes like a champ)
- Frozen and ready to eat rolls
- Pre-made canned cinnamon rolls and biscuits
- Sparkling Cider
Christmas and Winter Decorations
Hold off until the day after Christmas when these items will be on clearance. But move fast because EVERYONE will be looking at these deals:
- Artificial trees
- Wrapping Paper
- Christmas Themed Gift Bags
- Strings of lights
- Table decor
- Themed towels
- Linens or bedding (look for great deals on flannel)
- Throw pillows, etc with a winter or Christmas theme
Gifts to Stock Up in December
Fragrances – I can usually find body splash or fragrance scents for rock bottom prices before Christmas. I will often get some for holiday gifts, Secret Santa gifts and save a few for upcoming birthdays.
Toys – you’ll get your deepest discounts after Christmas but online deals are abundant before the holidays too. Get small, inexpensive items for your kid’s birthdays, future parties you’ll be invited to, etc. This way you’ll have gifts to choose from and won’t be bombarded every time your child is invited to a party.
There are great deals on home improvement and tools during the month of December. Be sure to check multiple stores for the best deals!
- Small appliances
Before Christmas look for those single loss-leaders like socks, mittens, gloves, slippers or pajamas. After Christmas almost all your winter clothing will be hugely discounted!
Etsy and Other Hand-Crafted Items
Many small business, online and otherwise will offer sales and discounts before Christmas. I like to shop small and local businesses and give unique gifts that can’t be found in large stores.
Many of the big brand stores will offer specials when you purchase gift cards so make sure to keep an eye out for those!
A Final Thought on Stocking Up in December
I hope this list of what to stock up in December helps you get your pantry and freezer full for a fraction of the cost. I know these sales help us to make Christmas lovely without killing our savings or going into debt. The food discounts also help us to make a large donation to our local food bank – something you might want to consider too.
Happy Holidays everyone!