What to stock up in January – the list you need for big savings! The after Christmas sales are fantastic and it is a great time to fill your pantry and save on household items you use during the year.
January is the perfect time to evaluate our food storage, toiletries and stored items; and get them all organized. Then we’ll know exactly what we need to stock up in January during the sales.
Stock Up In January List
This is the perfect time to stock up. There are so many great deals all month.
HOW TO SHOP AFTER CHRISTMAS SALES – Better than Black Friday!
Remember if you find free or deeply discounted items that you don’t use, consider donating them!
Are you worried that stockpiling is hoarding? Let me assure you that prepping and buying during sale cycles is NOT being a hoarder. Check out my article Prepping vs Hoarding – What You Need to Know!
But never bring home and store something just because it is free or cheap.
Stock Up in January Tips
- Stores run sales in cycles and often they will post lost-leaders (losing money on an item) to get you into the store in hopes that you’ll buy more.
- Make sure you need it! See above about donating vs storing an item you never really use or need.
- Do you have space for more stock-ups? Organize, evaluate and list before shopping.
- Don’t be tempted by a good sale – know what you need!
- Check expiration dates first! Are you going to use these food items by or before the expiration date? Organize your pantry by earliest to latest expiration dates.
- When it comes to non-food items, the best ones have multiple purposes!
- Don’t spend it all in one place – plan to shop several stores and sales for the best deals.
- Don’t forget online shopping – free shipping is often available and saves you gas and time.
- Don’t blow your monthly budget! No sale is worth not being able to pay your regular bills!
- Consider purchasing an inexpensive Food Saver to increase your storage time and put things is smaller increments; great for big bulk buying and work for pantry, refrigerator and freezer.
- Check store coupons – many stores will accept competitor prices and coupons!
- DO NOT ACQUIRE DEBT! No using credit cards to get these items; you really aren’t saving yourself any money in the long run.
Food Items to Stock Up on in January
- Swiss Chard
- Brussel Sprouts
Remember you can dehydrate fresh produce for later use. Check out What You Need to Know About Food Dehydrators!
Retailers know that new year resolutions are in full swing so anything “diet” and “health” will be on sale.
- Meal replacement drinks and bars like Slimfast or Atkins
- Frozen meals for diets like Lean Cuisine
How to Celebrate New Year’s Eve at Home
Breakfast and Convenience Foods
Did you know that January is National Oatmeal Month? Check out How to Make Oatmeal in Your Instant Pot.
- Frozen pizzas and microwaveable breakfast meals
- Cereals, Oatmeal, Grains
- Breakfast Bars
- Snack foods (again especially “healthy” labels)
- Chips, Dips and Soda (Get ready for the Super Bowl!)
Health and Wellness Items on Sale in January
It is that time of the year and stores know we’ll be fighting colds as well as looking to get healthier. It is always good to have these items on hand.
Stockpiling Medication and How to Stock Your Home Pharmacy
- Vitamins (my Sprouts store is having a HUGE sales on supplements)
- Cold & Flu Medications
- Nose / Facial Tissue
- Cough Drops
Stock Up in January on Clothing & Household Items
- Winter clothing – sweaters, gloves, jackets, scarves and more will be deeply discounted.
- Electronics – if you’re shopping for a new tv, tablet or computer, this could be the month to splurge.
- Seasonal Items leftover from Thanksgiving and Christmas will be at rock bottom prices if you can find them (cards, décor, wrapping paper, etc.)
Stock Up in January Gifts
If you keep a gift closet January is a great time to buy a few items to stock up on and replenish your gifts. Remember Valentines Day, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day will be here soon!
- Small toys
- Stocking stuffer items
- Perfume and cologne sets
- Gift sets of all kinds!
Christmas Decorations & More
If you shop in early January you can stock up on Christmas decorations too!
- Wrapping Paper
- Gift Bags
- Ribbons and Tags
- Christmas Trees
- Christmas Ornaments
- Tree Skirts and Stands
What to Buy & Stockpile Each Month
Be sure to come back every month and grab the list of what is on sale that month.
Find good deals every month of the year!
January Food Holidays
January 1: Bloody Mary Day
January 1: Apple Gifting Day
January 2: National Cream Puff Day
January 3: Chocolate Covered Cherry Day
January 4: National Spaghetti Day
January 5: National Whipped Cream Day
January 6: Bean Day
January 6: Epiphany (make an Epiphany cake)
January 6: National Shortbread Day
January 7: National Tempura Day
January 8: English Toffee Day
January 9: National Apricot Day
January 10: Bittersweet Chocolate Day
January 11: Milk Day
January 11: Hot Toddy Day
January 12: Curried Chicken Day
January 13: National Peach Melba Day
January 14: National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day
January 15: Strawberry Ice Cream Day
January 16: National Fig Newton Day
January 16: International Hot & Spicy Food Day
January 17: Hot Buttered Rum Day
January 18: Peking Duck Day
January 19: National Popcorn Day
January 20: National Buttercrunch Day
January 20: National Cheese Lover’s Day
January 20: National Granola Bar Day
January 20: National Coffee Break Day
January 21: New England Clam Chowder Day
January 22: National Blonde Brownie Day
January 23: National Pie Day
January 24: National Peanut Butter Day
January 25: National Irish Coffee Day
January 26: National Pistachio Day
January 27: Chocolate Cake Day
January 28: National Blueberry Pancake Day
January 29: National Corn Chip Day
January 30: National Croissant Day
January 31: Brandy Alexander Day
Saving Money Articles You Might Like
- How to Build a Stockpile for $10 a Week
- What to Buy at the Dollar Store & What to Skip
- Free Self-Care Ideas
- How to Improve Your Finances This Year
- Frugal Food & Grocery Tips to Save You Money
- How to Save on Your Heating Bill
- How to Freeze Milk For Later Use
- Non-Food Items to Stockpile
I truly hope this list helps you to stock up in January for amazing savings!