What to stock up on in March – the ULTIMATE list you can’t shop without! Let’s talk about what what to shop for in March. I’ve included food items, seasonal items, winter clearance, non-food items and even garden items to stock up on in March! Happy shopping!
Keeping a list of the sales for March will make your shopping faster and easier on your budget. I have stock up lists for November, December, January and February too; so make sure to save those links to your favorites!
What to Stock Up On In March
This and all my “stock up on” posts are based on the sale cycle for that month.
What is a sale cycle?
A sale cycle is a rotation of certain items being on sale store-wide. For example, March is National Frozen Food Month. So based on this and other seasonal factors, stores will have the best deals on those items.
Sales cycles typically cycle back about every 6 weeks. So you’ll want to buy enough of those items to last you and your family until the items come back around on sale. This is the lowest price you’ll find for those items.
Coupons are great but combined with sale cycles you can get items at the cheapest price for the year and often for FREE. If you’re building a stockpile than this is the way you want to shop for sure!
My stock up in March list is based on those sale cycles as are my other lists.
Also when you’re planning your stock up in March sales you have to consider the season. Special occasions in the month of March, like St. Patrick’s Day (see my corned beef in your crock pot recipe) will also effect sale items and prices.
Stock Up on in March Food Items
Did you know that March is National Frozen Foods Month? There is actually a National Frozen and Refrigerated Foods Association (NFRA) that promotes this. See March Frozen Food Month! But March also has St. Patrick’s Day, March Madness, and later you’ll see items for spring cleaning.
- Frozen Foods – This is the best time to buy frozen vegetables, frozen fruit, pizzas, fish sticks, ice cream and just about any other item you find in the frozen food section.
- Corned Beef – the traditional meat of St. Patty’s Day is in abundance and on sale during March. Put a few in your freezer for other times of the year.
- Cereals – March 7th in National Cereal Day so all your boxes of cereal, oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc will be on sale. Check your coupons so you can stack them with the sale prices for the best deals!
- Seasonal Produce – asparagus, bananas (see how to preserve bananas), beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, celery,
grapefruit, grapes, leeks, lemons, limes, lettuce, onions, oranges, mangoes, peas, pineapples, potatoes, radishes, strawberries, spinach and walnuts.
- Snack Foods and Soda – stock up on in March on snacks and sodas that will be on sale in preparation for the March Madness basketball tournaments. Look at chips, dips, soda, etc for the best deals.
Stock Up on in March – Holiday Items
The best time to stock up on holiday items is after the holiday as passed. Get to the stores fast the next day because they’ll be at great clearance sales prices!
- St. Patrick’s Day – after March 17th you can find great deals on all things green and Irish! Don’t forget to look at craft stores too if you’re looking holiday items.
- Easter Items – When Easter is in March you can find great deals on baskets, candy, cards and decor to stock up on in March.
Stock Up on in March – Cleaning Supplies
Because many people are preparing for “spring cleaning” those products and supplies will be at rock bottom prices. Check your stores and stack with coupons for amazing deals (sometimes free). The first day of spring is March 20th for 2019!
- All purpose cleaner
- Glass cleaner
- Candles and other home fragrances
- Cleaning gear may also be on sale – mops, brooms, dusters, vacuums, etc.
Stock Up on in March – Winter Clearance
Old man winter is leaving and so are all the amazing winter items that will be cheap in March. If you have the space to store them away this is the time to buy!
- Winter coats, jackets, vests, etc (considering getting larger sizes your kids will need next year)
- Gloves, mittens, scarves, fuzzy socks
- Snow and ski wear
Stock Up on in March – Other Non-Food Items
These are the other items you may find the best deals on in March, not just at grocery stores!
- Boats (hey if you’re in the market for one, this may be your month!)
- Jewelry – stores are still trying to get rid of those extra Valentine’s Day gifts.
- Luggage – in preparation for the Spring break travels many stores of the best deals on luggage.
- Wedding Gifts – it is the start of the busy wedding season so look for deals on items typically given to couples as a gift. Items to consider: small appliances, flatware, dishes, etc.
- Laptops – If you missed the back-to-school and Christmas sales you may still find a great deal on laptops as stores prepare for the graduation season.
Stock Up on In March – Seeds and Plants
Getting ready for your spring garden? March is a great time to stock up on seeds and plants! See What to Plant in March.
- Vegetable Seeds
- Seeds for Herbs
- Transplants from your nursery or big box store
- Spring flowers for your garden
Tips for Stocking Up on March Items
- Don’t blow your budget for ANY sale item. The point of shopping these sales is to save money but if that makes it hard for you to pay a bill then it isn’t worth it.
- Don’t use credit, that defeats the sale price (see above).
- Make sure your have room to store the extra items and food!
- Don’t buy things you don’t already use. This isn’t the time to get 10 boxes of cereal that you’ve never tried!
- Shop stores that price match to save yourself time.
- Make a plan, write a list and don’t be distracted.
- Take a buddy that will keep you from over doing it!
- Make sure to check freshness dates on food items. Store pantry and refrigerator items with closer expiration dates to the front.
- Start a price list – this will help you track the best sales prices in the cycles.
Happy shopping and savings as you stock up in March!