What to stock up on in March – the ULTIMATE list you can’t shop without! Let’s talk about what what to shop for in March. I’ve included food items, seasonal items, winter clearance, non-food items and even garden items to stock up on in March! Happy shopping!
Keeping a list of the sales for March will make your shopping faster and easier on your budget.
I have stock up lists for every month of the year so make sure to save those links to your favorites!
What to Stock Up On In March
This and all my “stock up on” posts are based on the sale cycle for that month.
What is a sale cycle?
A sale cycle is a rotation of certain items being on sale store-wide. For example, March is National Frozen Food Month. So based on this and other seasonal factors, stores will have the best deals on those items.
Sales cycles typically cycle back about every 6 weeks. So you’ll want to buy enough of those items to last you and your family until the items come back around on sale. This is the lowest price you’ll find for those items.
Coupons are great but combined with sale cycles you can get items at the cheapest price for the year and often for FREE. If you’re building a stockpile than this is the way you want to shop for sure!
My stock up in March list is based on those sale cycles as are my other lists.
Stock Up on In March – Seeds and Plants
Getting ready for your spring garden? March is a great time to stock up on seeds and plants! See What to Plant in March.
- Vegetable Seeds
- Seeds for Herbs
- Transplants from your nursery or big box store
- Spring flowers for your garden
Stock Up on in March Food Items
But March also has St. Patrick’s Day, March Madness, and later you’ll see items for spring cleaning.
Stock Up on Frozen Foods
Did you know that March is National Frozen Foods Month? There is actually a National Frozen and Refrigerated Foods Association (NFRA) that promotes this. See March Frozen Food Month!
- Frozen vegetables and fruits
- Fish Sticks
- Ice Cream
- Frozen Prepared Meals
March Seasonal Produce
The best produce to buy and stock up on in March, in most areas, will be:
- Bananas (see how to preserve bananas)
- Brussels Sprouts
Stock Up on Breakfast Cereal
Did you know that March 7th in National Cereal Day? Because of this many of your favorite cereals will be greatly discounted. Check your coupons so you can stack them with the sale prices for the best deals!
- Boxed and bagged cereal
- Cream of Wheat
Great Sales on Snack Foods and Soda
March is a great time to stock up on snacks and sodas thanks to the March Madness basketball tournaments. Look for amazing deals on:
Stock Up on in March – Holiday Items
The best time to stock up on holiday items is after the holiday as passed. Get to the stores fast the next day because they’ll be at great clearance sales prices!
St. Patrick’s Day
Leading up to St. Patrick’s Day you’ll food items on sale:
- Corned Beef – the traditional meat of St. Patty’s Day is in abundance and on sale during March. Put a few in your freezer for other times of the year.
After the holiday any of the decorations and craft items will be deeply discounted.
When Easter falls in the month of March you’ll find food deals on many items typically served at an Easter Dinner:
- Baking Supplies
After the holiday is the best time to stock up on Easter deals like:
Stock Up on Cleaning Supplies
Many people are preparing for “spring cleaning” so these products and supplies will be at rock bottom prices in March. Check your stores and stack with coupons for amazing deals (sometimes free). The first day of spring is March 20th for 2021!
- All purpose cleaner
- Glass cleaner
- Candles and other home fragrances
- Cleaning gear may also be on sale – mops, brooms, dusters, vacuums, etc.
Stock Up on in March – Winter Clearance
March is typically the last month you’ll see winter clothing out in most areas. If you have the space to store away winter clothing this is the best time to buy:
- Winter coasts and jackets
(considering getting larger sizes your kids will need next year)
- Gloves & Mittens
- Fuzzy Stocks
- Snow and Ski Wear
Non-Food Items to Buy in March
These are the other items you may find the best deals on in March, not just at grocery stores!
- Boats (hey if you’re in the market for one, this may be your month!)
- Jewelry – stores are still trying to get rid of those extra Valentine’s Day gifts.
- Luggage – in preparation for the Spring break travels many stores of the best deals on luggage.
- Wedding Gifts – it is the start of the busy wedding season so look for deals on items typically given to couples as a gift. Items to consider: small appliances, flatware, dishes, etc.
- Laptops – If you missed the back-to-school and Christmas sales you may still find a great deal on laptops as stores prepare for the graduation season.
Tips for Stocking Up on March Items
- Don’t blow your budget for ANY sale item.
- Don’t use credit, that defeats the sale price
- Make sure your have room to store the extra items and food!
- Don’t buy things you don’t already use.
- Shop stores that price match to save yourself time.
- Make a plan, write a list and don’t be distracted.
- Make sure to check freshness dates on food items. Store pantry and refrigerator items with closer expiration dates to the front.
- Start a price list – this will help you track the best sales prices in the cycles.