What to stock up on in April. The biggest and most comprehensive shopping list for stocking up on groceries and other sale cycle items for the month of April. Shopping in April can get you great deals on food, seasonal items, holiday clearance, garden items and more. It is a good shopping month!
What to Stock Up On In April
What to Stock Up on Each Month?
The stock up series started back in November of 2018. Be sure to bookmark all the months so you can stock up on November, December, January, February and March too! I will continue the series until every month is complete; so you’ll always have a guide. With my lists, you will ALWAYS know the best things to stock up on every month of the year!
This is more than a month to month guide to grocery sales! I always include the sales for bigger ticket items, things on sale during a particular season and what will be on the biggest clearance during the month.
Shopping Sale Cycles
The key to stocking up in April, or any month is shopping the store’s sale cycle. So what is a sale cycle? A sale cycles are how store rotate discounts of particular items being on sale, generally store-wide; and most store adhere to this same cycle. My “job” is to take the guess work out of researching those sales; just come here every month and get your list of monthly stock up suggestions and tips.
What Is a Stock Up?
Everyone has the own definition of “stocking up”. But basically this is making a plan to overbuy items that are on sale (in cycles) that will supply your household for 3 or more months. This way you don’t but at the exact time you need an item, for top price. It does take some time to learn how much to buy to last; but the longer you do it the more routine it will be for you.
What Price is Good for Stocking Up on Sales?
A good price for stocking up on an item/s is going to depending greatly on the item itself. But for general purposes, I want to get at least 50% off a product to buy multiples for my pantry, etc.
How do I stockpile when I’m broke?
If you have a limited budget stocking up on anything feels very difficult. You should absolutely NEVER go into credit card debt to buy sales items, that defeats the purpose. Look for items you can cut out or reduce in your budget while you get started stockpiling. Are you buying coffee through a drive-thru everyday? That’s probably costing $80 – $100 a month! Make coffee and home and use that money to build your stockpile. Even with as little as $10 a week you can start saving up for sale cycles.
Do I need coupons to stockpile?
No, but they can make your savings greater. I am not a big coupon person because I think they give us a sense of buying cheaper when items are really at their top price (plus buying stuff you never really use). You can see more about my thoughts on coupons here:
5 Reasons I Quit Using Coupons.
If you can get a coupon that works with the sales during a particular month, go for it!
The Stock Up in April List
Gardening Supplies and Plants
Spring has sprung and April is the best to to stock up on and get the best price on gardening supplies and plants.
- Gardening Tools (See: Garden Tools You Should Have)
- Seeds (See: What to Plant in April)
- Plants (even house plants)
- Fertilizer (Don’t forget to compost for FREE fertilizer!)
- Lawn Items (though I recommend a Backyard Vegetable Garden over a lawn!)
Earth Day is in April every year. According to Wikipedia, Earth Day is “an annual event celebrated on April 22. Worldwide, various events are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. First celebrated in 1970, Earth Day now includes events in more than 193 countries, which are now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network“.
Shop for: (think green & sustainable)
- Foods that are labeled natural and organic
- Reusable bags
- Reusable water / drinking bottles
- LED / CFL lighting
- Appliances labeled Energy Star – so April is a great time to shop for new appliances.
Stock Up in April – Seasonal & Holiday Items
Easter is in the month of April in 2019 so make sure to shop very close to or the day after to get the best deals on Easter items.
- Baskets and basket fillers like plastic eggs, stuffed animals, etc
- Egg dying kits
- Candies (just be sure to check the freshness date)
- Home decorating or home decor items like hand towels with an Easter theme, wall hangings and knick knacks.
Groceries and Produce
April is National Soft Pretzel month! And both Passover and Easter take place in April. Be sure to look at the seasonal fruit and vegetables this month as well; most can be frozen or canned for later use.
- Frozen soft pretzels to make at home.
- Hams (traditional Easter Food for many)
- Eggs (Easter egg dying)
- Pre-packaged Kosher / Passover foods like matzos
- Baking items for holidays like sugar, spices, baking mixes and even pre-made refrigerator dough
- Seasonal Fruits – like apples, avocados, grapefruit, oranges, pears, pineapple, strawberries and tangerines
- Seasonal Vegetables – like artichokes, asparagus, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, green beans, Lima beans, mushrooms, onions, peas and rhubarb.
Stock Up on Cleaning Supplies
If you haven’t already, you may be planning to do your Spring cleaning in April! Stores are often still offering great deals for this!
- Cleaning gear like brooms, dusters, mops, vacuums, etc
Most travelers are looking at booking summer vacations but April can be a great month to get deals!
What to Stock Up On in April – Clothing
- Any remaining winter items
- Rain boots and other “Spring Showers” gear
Beauty & Personal Care
- Facial cleansers
- Body wash
Other April Deals to Consider
- Tax Day Discounts – restaurants and stores often offer special savings on April 15th
- Sewing Supplies
- Home Improvement – check your big box stores!
- The start of Mother’s Days Sales
Did I miss something that you stock up on in April for a great deal? Tell me in the comment section below!
Is there anything I forgot to add to my list? If you think of something please leave me a comment below.