A DIY College Survival Kit is an awesome gift for the graduates in your life heading off to the dorms in the Fall. I have compiled a list of different items – put them all in or consider making the smaller themed kits . You’ll find printable versions of the lists at the end of this post.
DIY College Survival Kit
As our high school graduates plan to head off to their first year away from home, a college survival kit can help them with the essentials. Here is a gift they can really use during that stressful freshman year!
Bathroom Essentials Kit
- Shower Shoes (aka flip flops)
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Bar of soap
- Razors / Shaving cream
- Wash clothes
- Toothpaste and a toothbrush
Put it all in a quick dry shower caddy to make it portable…no gift bag needed!
Laundry Essentials Kit
- Small laundry soap (or make them some)
- Stain stick
- Dryer sheets, or better yet reusable dryer balls
- Roll of quarters
- Pop-up laundry hamper
- Ironing blanket
- Portable iron and/or steamer
Put it all in a plastic laundry basket.
Better Night Sleep Kit
- A mattress topper
- Sheet Set
- Eye Mask
- Ear Plugs
- A soft throw
- Bonus – add some bed lifters for extra under-bed storage
Put in a large plastic tote that can be used for dorm storage
A Basic First Aid Kit
- Band aids
- Rubbing Alcohol and/or peroxide
- Anti-bacterial cream
- Ear swabs
- Cotton balls
- Pain reliever like ibuprofen or Tylenol
Be sure to check the dates so nothing expires
My friend Linda at Food Storage moms has an awesome College First Aid Kit if you looking for something more comprehensive for your student.
A Cold Kit
Getting a cold for the first time when mom isn’t around? How about a ready-made kit?
- Common cold remedy
- 2 cans of chicken noodle soup
- Box of tea
- Mug and spoon (see above and it makes sense)
- Vitamin C
- Garlic Supplements (natural antibiotic)
- Box of tissues
- Cough Drops
- Throat lozenges
- Lip Balm (OR make your own)
A Study Session Kit
- Post it notes for marking pages
- A couple notebooks
- Pencils, Pens and Highlighters
- Individually wrapped snacks (RBars, Beef Jerky, Chocolate – check those dates)
- Gift cards to Starbucks, Dominos, etc
I hope these lists inspire you to put together a DIY College Survival Kit; they make great personal gifts for graduates.
Here are your printable lists – click to make them larger.