I having been reading about and generally researching GMOs for about 2 years. It started by watching movies like Fresh and Food, Inc. I started posting a lot about my findings on my personal Facebook page…a lot. I was shocked to find out that many of my friends didn’t want to know about this. More than one actually used the term, “ignorance is bliss”. I still can’t believe it.
Readers, ignorance is not blissful when it comes to GMOs and frankly it is down right deadly!
Let me say that I am not a scientist. I am not a researcher. I am a reader. I am a mom. I am a consumer that is fed-up with being a human guinea pig. And I am sadly a friend and family member that is discouraged that others aren’t worried. But I am assuming that if you are still reading that this it is something you agree with or that you want to know more.
So let me start by telling you what GMOs are doing to our bodies and our environment.
- GMOs are Genetically Modified Organisms. Your body was not created to deal with these frankenfoods. So they hit your systems like a tidal wave. GMOs are linked to infertility, inflammation (a precursor to heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer’s disease), reduced immunity, inability to regulate insulin (hello obesity & diabetes anyone?) and even accelerated aging (good for the plastic surgeons maybe).
- In the environment it has been found that GMOs are creating pests that are actually resistant to pesticides. This only increases the need to develop and use more chemicals on our crops (bad for you, bad for the earth). Not to mention that these GMO crops aren’t staying where they are planted and often infect heirloom and organic crops.
- Let’s talk about bees. Sure we hear a lot about killer bees but the truth is we need bees. WE NEED THEM. Bees are the great pollinators; without their work we could lose, roughly, 3/4 of our produce. Seriously – say goodbye to watermelon, apples, carrots…should I keep going? GMOs are killing our bees and no one is exactly sure why or how to fix the problem. If this doesn’t scare you…it should.
Ask yourself why 26 countries have banned GMO crops and approximately 60 more require labeling of GMO produce and products. The United States is still standing behind GMO producers. A few states have passed GMO labeling initiatives while many others have been shot down. But even those that have passed may take YEARS before the actual labels are seen. WE MUST EDUCATE OURSELVES!
So next let’s look at the top foods that are currently genetically modified:
The top 2 spots go to Corn & Soy: These two crops are cash cows. Start checking your labels! When I decided to avoid corn and soy and products containing them I was S H O C K E D at the number of products containing them or a version of them. CHOCOLATE – try finding one without soy lecithin in it, nearly impossible. I should also interject that corn is fed to livestock to make them fat…so you do the math there. Soy, even without its GMO issues is considered an anti-nutrient by many now. But I don’t think that information is getting out to people because when I say that everyone looks at me like I have 2 heads. And don’t forget to check non-food labels for corn and soy additives…yep they’re in there.
Sugar: Don’t kill the messenger folks. Sugar is a major GMO crop. And it isn’t sugar cane – try sugar beets. Yep, we aren’t even eating REAL SUGAR. Unless your sugar specifically says “real cane sugar”, you’re eating sugar beets. This lovely GMO crop has been on our tables since 2009.
Aspartame: I am not going to go into a rant about how terrible artificial sweeteners are…but yeah, stop eating that crap. But they are also on the top of the GMO list – made from genetically modified bacteria and shown to be addictive. You are not helping yourself or anyone else eating that. “Can I have some cancer with my sugar-free soda?” Ick, no.
Canola Oil: Not going to lie, this one surprised me a bit. I mean didn’t we just find out how heart healthy canola oil was a few years ago. Can you say bologna? Canola oil is not only a GMO crop but now it is also known to be one of the most highly processed oils on the market. If you saw how they made it…you wouldn’t want to eat it. It is another oil that we see in a ton of products too. Makes you go, hmmmmmmmm.
Also making the list: Zucchini, Yellow Summer Squash, Milk (mainly to do with feed), Papaya (GMO crops are in Hawaii) and Cotton (ok not a food but we put it on our bodies).
Ok, so I’ve laid a little bad news out for you. But let’s not walk away without some ways to correct the issue.
- Read your labels! If these foods are in them, don’t buy it. Period. Even better, stay way from food with labels.
- Write the people that make the laws and demand labeling and the end of GMO crops!
- Write companies you buy from and let them know that their products are no longer coming into your house until GMO crops are removed.
- Tell your friends!
- Grow a garden – non-gmo heirloom seeds are out there. You can be part of the solution by growing good foods in your garden space. The bees will thank you too.
- Buy more locally – talk to your farmers about their crops, their pesticides, etc. Support good health and your local economy.
- Talk to your ranchers too. What are they feeding the livestock they raise? If the livestock eats it and you it the livestock… And hey, you can raise your own there too – but that is a whole different post.
- Don’t put your head in the sand and pretend this isn’t happening. Seriously. The people that produce our food want to make money. If they can’t sell us GMO food then they’ll likely stop producing it. WE are the ones that control the market if we wield our power.
- Read Imperfectly Happy everyday. Ok, that might not really help anything but I’d sure appreciate it. 😉
- Watch some awesome documentaries about food and food production. You may be very surprised that what we think we know is pure bunk. My recommendations: Food Inc, Fresh, Fat Head, King Corn, Cereal Killers and Farmaggedon
I’m off my soapbox…for now.