I love homemade gifts! There is nothing quite like giving or receiving a gift that someone took their time and talents to create. This year my family and friends will be receiving several gifts that I am making in my own kitchen. I’ve been canning Jalapeño Jelly, mixing up a special spice mix and later I’ll be making some Sweet & Spicy Maple Pecans.
Today I’ve been cooking up something special! I’m including a recipe that is sure to be a hit and be sure to check out the other links from my blogging friends for MORE homemade gift ideas! Today I am sharing my recipe for coffee liqueur that I’m calling Homesteader Hooch – super easy to make and fun to give! It is bottled in a canning jar but DOES NOT require canning; this is more for a look than anything else.
Homesteader Hooch (aka Kahlua or Coffee Liqueur)
- 2.5 cups of pure cane sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of instant coffee
- 1 Tablespoon of pure vanilla extract (no imitation)
- 4 cups of water, preferably filtered
- 2.5 cups of a good quality vodka
- Add water, sugar, and instant coffee to a pan
- Bring to a boil, stirring often
- Reduce to a low simmer for 1.5 hours (this will reduce by about half)
- After the 1.5 hour simmer allow the liquid to cool completely
- Once completely cooled add in vodka and vanilla
- Bottle (make sure you sterilize your bottles and lids)
- Label and decorate to your liking
- Enjoy a little glass of the leftovers over ice with cream. 😉
This recipe will make about 45 oz of coffee liqueur. Super easy to double or triple, as needed, for gifts.
Homemade Gifts from My Homesteading Friends