Slow Cooker Red Enchiladas are the perfect weeknight dinner! These enchiladas are packed with flavor and can be on the table in no time! All you need is a few simple ingredients and a little motivation to put them in the slow cooker. These enchiladas make great leftovers and for once, everyone at the table will be happy with what’s being served for dinner!
What are enchiladas?
Enchiladas are a Mexican dish that typically consists of a corn tortilla filled with meat, cheese, and/or beans, and then covered in a chili sauce. Enchiladas can be made with different types of sauces, but the most popular is definitely red enchilada sauce.
Ingredients for Red Enchiladas
- Chicken breasts – The main ingredient is chicken breasts, but you can totally omit these for a vegetarian option.
- Whole kernel corn drained – Don’t forget the corn for these enchiladas!
- Black bean drained and rinsed – You gotta have the right beans for this yummy recipe.
- Red enchilada sauce – One of my favorite parts of this recipe is the red enchilada sauce.
- Shredded cheese – I used a Mexican cheese blend but you can use whatever cheese you have on hand.
- Corn tortillas cut into strips – This is truly what makes the recipe extra special.
How to Make Slow Cooker Red Enchiladas
- Place the chicken breast in the slow cooker and top with enchilada sauce.
- Cook on high until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken and shred the meat. Return to slow cooker.
- Add the corn, beans, tortillas, and 2 cups of cheese and stir to mix.
- Top with remaining cheese and cook for 45 minutes.
FAQ for Slow Cooker Red Enchiladas
Can I make these enchiladas vegetarian?
Yes! Simply omit the chicken and you’re good to go.
Do I have to use red enchilada sauce?
No, you can use any type of enchilada sauce that you like. Green enchilada sauce would be delicious in this recipe!
What kind of tortillas should I use?
You can use either flour or corn tortillas for this recipe. If you’re using corn tortillas, be sure to soft them before adding them to the slow cooker.
Can I make these enchiladas ahead of time?
Yes, you can assemble the enchiladas and store them in the fridge for up to 24 hours before cooking.
What should I serve with these enchiladas?
These enchiladas are delicious on their own, but they’re also great with a side of rice or beans. You could also top them with some sour cream, cheese, or green onions.
Variation Options for Red Enchiladas
As mentioned above, you can use any type of enchilada sauce that you like. You can also mix and match the fillings to suit your taste. Some other great options include:
If you’re looking for a little bit of a kick, you could also add some diced jalapeños to the mix.
No matter what you decide to put in your enchiladas, they’re sure to be a hit!I hope you enjoy this recipe for Slow Cooker Red Enchiladas. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below.
Slow Cooker Red Enchiladas
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 can whole kernel corn drained
- 1 can black bean drained and rinsed
- 16 oz red enchilada sauce
- 3 cups shredded cheese
Place the chicken breast in the slow cooker and top with enchilada sauce.
Cook on high until the chicken reaches 165 degrees!
Remove the chicken and shred the meat. Return to the slow cooker.
Add the corn, beans, tortillas, and 2 cups of cheese and stir to mix.
Top with remaining cheese and cook for 45 minutes.