Chicken casserole recipes can make busy weekday meals quick and delicious. I love a one pot meal and chicken casseroles fit the bill on taste, easy to make and budget friendly. I hope you enjoy these casserole recipes as much as we have.
The Best Chicken Casserole Recipes
What is a casserole?
The casserole as we know it became popular in the 1950s and 1960s as a food that can be cooked and served in the same dish (the dish itself is often referred to by the same name or casserole dish). I have the original set of casserole dishes I got at my wedding almost 24 years ago! Most dictionaries define it as a kind of stew or side dish that is cooked slowly in an oven.
Many people, me included, consider a casserole to be a comfort food. Anyway you define casserole, you’re going to love these chicken casserole recipes!
What are some good side dishes for a chicken casserole?
Good side dishes for a chicken casserole will depend greatly on what ingredients are in the casserole itself to begin with. But here are a few ideas for casserole side dishes.
- A crispy green salad with your favorite raw vegetables (this is my personal preference and it is great made ahead too!)
- Steamed or oven roasted broccoli, if it isn’t already in the casserole
- Rice (again, if it isn’t already in the recipe)
- A baked potato
- Sauteed asparagus
Would it be okay to use beef in a chicken casserole recipe?
Most casserole recipes are pretty flexible and you could easily replace ground beef or even leftover roast / steak in for chicken. You might find you prefer beef instead of chicken!
What can you make with leftover chicken?
Because you are going to used cooked chicken in almost all chicken casserole recipes they are a great way to use leftover chicken. And you can pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store to make these recipes even faster.
What is a good chicken casserole recipe?
A good chicken recipe, in my opinion, is not only tasty but quick and easy to make. This is not fancy but good homemade food that you can make fast but still feel proud to serve. I am including my recipe for Chicken Mac ‘n Cheese Casserole today but below you’ll also find links to many other fantastic chicken casserole recipes to try (I’ve included some of the best around for you!). Have a weekly casserole night and try them all!
Chicken Casserole Recipes
Homemade Mac and Cheese Chicken Casserole
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni I buy a 16 oz package
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1.5 cups sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1.5 cups Monterrey Jack cheese shredded
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced or chopped
- Casserole Dish of Your Choice
Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees F
Cook your elbow macaroni to al dente, check the package directions on time. You do not want your pasta fully cooked or it will be overdone.
While the pasta is cooking use about 1 tablespoon of butter to grease your baking dish.
In a large pot melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter on a medium heat (do not brown or burn).
Whisk in your flour and spices and continuing whisking until the mixture is thickened.
Add your milk.
Turn your burner to high to bring this mixture to a boil (stirring often).
Allow it to boil 1 minute and then remove it from the heat.
Stir your sharp cheddar and Monterrey Jack cheese into the pot and stir until completely melted.
Add in your cooked chicken and macaroni and stir until the sauce covers everything.
Pour into your prepared casserole dish.
Baked 30 – 35 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and slightly golden on top.
- I recommend NOT using pre-shredded cheese. It is coasted with starch to keep it from sticking and doesn’t melt as well as shredding your own.
- You can vary your cheeses to change up the recipe. I love it with all Pepper Jack Cheese or subbing 1/2 to 1 cup with a smoked Gouda.
- You can use a store-bought rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken for this recipe too.
- To make in a truly one-dish meal you can add in some chopped broccoli before cooking.
Other Amazing Chicken Casserole Recipes to Try!
- Fiesta Chicken Casserole Recipe – take your chicken casserole recipe south of the border!
- Traditional Chicken & Rice Casserole – made with cream of mushroom soup.
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole – this one isn’t as fast but worth your time!
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole – a family favorite every time.
- Cheesy Crack Chicken Casserole – pot luck requested!
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole – one pot meal perfection.
- Italian Chicken Casserole – another great pasta inspired dish!
- Chicken and Stuffing Casserole – ultimate comfort food.
- Chicken Shepherd’s Pie Casserole – did someone say mashed potatoes?
See MORE Casserole Recipes Here!
Chicken Casserole Recipes Shopping List
- Casserole Baking Dish – a good glass 13 x 9 baking dish is a kitchen essential but I also love enameled cast iron.
- Casserole Travel – Casseroles are perfect for pot lucks are when taking a sick friend a meal. Having an insulated carrying case is so helpful!
- Cheese Shredder – I know shredding your own cheese takes more time, but it does make for a better melt and recipe! I use a standard, old-fashioned box grater.