Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken is a delicious and easy way to make a favorite dish. The chicken is cooked in the Instant Pot with teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, and garlic. This recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight meal. The Instant Pot is a lifesaver for making dinner.
What is teriyaki chicken?
Teriyaki chicken is a popular dish that is often made by cooking chicken pieces in a teriyaki sauce. This sauce typically consists of soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, and other seasonings and flavorings, depending on the recipe. Teriyaki chicken can be made using a variety of different cooking methods, including grilling, baking, and pan-frying.
- Chicken thighs – I prefer to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe, but you could also use chicken breasts.
- Soy sauce – I used low-sodium soy sauce in this recipe.
- Honey – You could also use maple syrup or agave nectar in place of the honey.
- Rice vinegar – This is an important ingredient, so make sure to use a high-quality rice vinegar rather than white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Minced garlic – You can use fresh garlic cloves or store-bought minced garlic, whichever you prefer.
See the recipe card for the full recipe!
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken in the Instant Pot
1. Place the instant pot on sauté mode and melt the butter. When butter is melted, add cubed chicken and garlic. Cook for 4 minutes to brown the outside.
2. Cancel sauté mode, add spices, honey, and soy sauce. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. When finished, release pressure manually
3. While simmering, whisk in the cornstarch mixture slowly.
4. Serve over rice.
Fridge: This teriyaki chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezer: To store the teriyaki chicken in the freezer, place the cooked chicken in an airtight container or bag. It can be stored for up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop before serving.
There are many different ways you can experiment with this teriyaki chicken recipe. Some possible variations include adding additional seasonings and spices, using a different type of chicken, or serving the chicken over something other than rice.
Can I make this recipe with chicken breasts?
Yes, you can use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Can I make this recipe in the slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this teriyaki chicken recipe in the slow cooker. Just add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours. Stir in the cornstarch mixture at the end.
What are some serving suggestions?
This teriyaki chicken is deliciously served alongside rice and steamed vegetables, or you can make a stir-fry with the chicken and veggies. You could also use the chicken in a rice bowl or wrap.
How long does it take to make this recipe?
The total time for this recipe is about 25 minutes, which includes prep time and cook time. The cook time will vary depending on the size and type of chicken you use.
More Chicken Recipes
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken (serves 3-4)
- 7-8 Chicken thighs
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- Cornstarch thickener
- 2 tbsp butter
Place the instant pot on sauté mode and melt the butter.
When butter is melted, add cubed chicken and garlic.
Cook for 4 minutes to brown the outside.
Cancel sauté mode, and add spices, honey, and soy sauce.
Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
When finished, release the pressure manually.
While simmering, whisk in the cornstarch mixture slowly.
Serve over rice.