Breakfast casserole has become a holiday morning staple at our house. The recipe is easy but absolutely delicious and you can change it up to suit you and your family’s taste.
This casserole with bacon and hash browns is great for breakfast or brunch or a pot luck too. I’ll be making 2 breakfast casseroles Christmas morning brunch with our family and friends. This is a particular favorite of both my husband and father-in-law.
This is the perfect breakfast casserole for a crowd! And it is gluten free so almost everyone can eat it.
Easy Breakfast Casserole RecipeJump to Printable Recipe
Ingredients for Breakfast Casserole with Bacon and Hash Browns
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package of bacon, cooked
- 8 frozen hash browns (patties)
Do not cook or defrost!
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
Directions for Breakfast Casserole with Bacon and Hash Browns
- Rough Chop Bacon – I like to use scissors.
- Cook your bacon until crisp then remove and drain on paper towel.
- Place hash browns in a single layer in a greased 9X13 baking dish.
- You may have to break a hash brown patty to get everything to fit and cover the bottom of casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bacon.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, pepper and mustard.
- Pour the egg mixture of the cheese, bacon and hash browns.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until edges are golden brown and knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot.
How to know when the casserole is done?
I butter knife, inserted in the middle, should come out clean when the breakfast casserole is completely cooked.
How to Serve the Bacon and Hash brown Breakfast Casserole
We like to serve ours with a few topping options like diced green onions, salsa, hot sauce and ketchup (though I don’t get the ketchup on eggs things).
Variations for the Casserole Recipe
We love the classic breakfast casserole but I’ve made it with lots of different options and they are great too. We particularly love the Southwestern Breakfast Casserole option.
- Use cooked ham or sausage (cooked and drained) instead of bacon or use a combination of meats.
- Change up the cheese – I love it with smoked Gouda!
- Add in some sauteed chopped onion and bell pepper for additional flavor.
- Add in chopped baby Bella mushrooms.
- Used diced frozen potatoes or shredded hash browns instead of patties.
- For a low carb / Keto option, leave out the hash browns entirely.
- Go for a Southwestern flare by using 1 lbs of cooked and drained chorizo instead of bacon and add some diced green chilies.
What are some great side dishes for breakfast casserole?
This bacon and hash brown casserole is really a complete meal but if you’d like to add some side dishes here are my favorites:
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Scones
- Easy Homemade Drop Biscuits
- Gluten Free Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- Pioneer Woman’s Monkey Bread
Easy Bacon and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 12 Eggs beaten
- 1 cup Milk
- 4 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 package Cooked and Crispy Bacon drained
- 8 Frozen Hash Brown Patties do not cook or defrost
- 1/2 tsp Ground Mustard
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
Rough Chop Bacon – I like to use scissors.
Cook your bacon until crisp then remove and drain on paper towel.
Place hash browns in a single layer in a greased 9X13 baking dish.
You may have to break a hash brown patty to get everything to fit and cover the bottom of casserole dish.
Sprinkle with cheese and bacon.
In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, pepper and mustard.
Pour the egg mixture of the cheese, bacon and hash browns.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until edges are golden brown and knife inserted near the center comes out clean.