How to make a Hot Toddy recipe. This is the best Hot Toddy Recipe and Grandma’s secret home remedy for colds. When it comes to nasty winter colds and coughs I haven’t found anything that works as well or as fast as this Hot Toddy Recipe! The Hot Toddy, or warm whiskey, is a classic recipe that has been around for generations. The medicinal drink is said to have originated in Scotland as early as the 1700s. Before store-bought and over-the-counter medicines were readily available, people sipped on a warm Hot Toddy to fight colds and respiratory ailments. And before you fret about the whiskey remember that drug store cough and cold syrups have alcohol in them plus a bunch of other things I can’t pronounce. I can also tell you that doctors were proscribing whiskey for coughs and colds long before pharmacy medications.
But I am not a doctor, so this recipe should be used at your own discretion.
How To Make A Hot Toddy Recipe
Why The Hot Toddy Recipe Works
Why does this Hot Toddy recipe work so well to fight coughs and colds? Well here’s what I found:
- Whiskey works as a powerful decongestant; the alcohol dilates your blood vessels and helps the body to fight congestion. It also is relaxing which will help you rest. The whiskey will aid your body in fighting off infection and the growth of microorganisms! Don’t go overboard on the whiskey, a little goes a long way.
- Honey is an antioxidant and has both antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. Honey can soothe and relax a sore and scratchy throat and quiet a cough. A good quality, locally sourced, honey is best!
- Lemon are an amazing source of vitamin C and added to a hot drink can aid in reducing and loosening phlegm.
- Hot tea soothes the throat, loosens phlegm in the chest and nose making it easier to blow and cough it all out.
- Adding a bit of ginger can soothe a queasy tummy or cinnamon to add a bit more flavor.
How to Make an Old Fashioned Hot Toddy Recipe
This will make one serving and it is best to make this as needed. I do not recommend using a microwave to heat anything, especially honey, because you’ll be killing off the good stuff!I use a standard stove-top tea kettle.
Old Fashioned Hot Toddy Recipe - Grandma's Home Remedy
- 1 cup of hot tea you can really use any good organic tea but it is best to use a decaffeinated tea so you can rest
- 1 - 2 tablespoons of whiskey we use Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey but any quality brand will do
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice straight from the lemon
- 2 tablespoons of honey raw is best but any is fine as long as honey is the only ingredient
- 1 pinch of ground ginger or cinnamon optional
- Brew your tea and let it steep for 7 - 10 minutes
- Add 1 - 2 tablespoons of whiskey and stir
- Add in the 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice and stir
- Lastly add in your 2 tablespoons of honey (you can add more if it isn't sweet enough) and give it a good stir until the honey disappears into the liquid
- Optional add in a pinch of ground ginger or cinnamon
- Serve immediately - it should still be hot.
Serve with a wedge a lemon
- You can enjoy a Hot Toddy Home Remedy 2 - 3 times a day and you'll be amazed at how quickly it works.
Legally speaking this Hot Toddy Recipe is for adults only. It has been prescribed for under 21 for years but that is at your discretion and I assume no responsibly for its use in adults or otherwise.
If you’re not comfortable with a Hot Toddy check out my grandmother’s natural cough syrup recipe – it can work wonders too!