Sugar cookies in a jar? Oh yeah! This fantastic sugar cookies in a jar recipe is a great gift for someone you love this Christmas; especially for a avid or new baker or anyone who just loves cookies. I mean, who doesn’t love homemade fresh-baked cookies?
This cookies in a jar is fun and fast to make so get the kids and teens involved! I’ve included some free printable tags for your gifts as well. This makes the presentation so fun!
I like to include a dozen pre-made cookies with the jar, when I can; this way the recipient knows how delicious the sugar cookies are before they even make them. But that is totally optional.
This recipe creates an easy and delicious cookie and a fantastic Christmas Gift with a free printable tag and instructions for you to attach.
Sugar cookies in a jar are a sweet and inexpensive DIY gift that’s cute as a button! And everyone on your gift list will love them!
What is a cookie in a jar?
A cookie in a jar recipe is a pre-measured dry mix, like these sugar cookies. You fill a mason jar with the mix and all the recipient has to do is add the moist ingredients, bake and enjoy!
Looking for MORE Christmas Cookie Recipes? Be sure to check out my favorite Vintage Cookie Recipes too!
What are some low cost Christmas gifts?
This cookie mix in a jar is a easy and inexpensive gift to make this year. But I have more ideas for you to try. See Simple Homemade Gifts Anyone Can Make for more do it yourself gifts.
How to Make Sugar Cookies in a Jar
This recipe is designed to fit in a 1 quart, wide mouth, mason jar. The mixture is not layered but combined in a bowl first then put in the jars completely ready to go. You can top off the jars with some sprinkles or your other favorite sugar cookie decoration; this adds a fun pop of color.
Then you simply print and attach the directions, a ribbon and a cute cookie cutter if you’d like. You’re going to look like a crafty genius – no one will know how easy this cookie in a jar recipe really is!
Tips for Great Sugar Cookies
- Make sure to chill your dough for at least an hour or they’ll be too soft work with. This is especially important if you want to use cookie cutters.
- Don’t OVER mix your cookie dough. Use a mixer at a low speed until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated. Overworked dough will make for tough, dry cookies.
- Flour your surface! Use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat with a few tablespoons of flour on top. As you roll out your dough the flour will keep it from sticking.
- Roll out your dough in small batches instead of all at once.
- After you put your cut cookies on the baking sheet, use a pastry brush to wipe away excess flour.
- Pro tip: Bake on parchment paper or the silicon baking sheet for easy peasy cookie removal.
- Don’t OVER BAKE. If your sugar cookies get a darl brown edge they are over cooked. It is better to slightly under-bake because the cookies will continue to “cook” a bit even after you take them out of the oven.
- Invest in a good cooling rack!
Helpful Tools for Great Sugar Cookies
Sugar Cookies in a Jar Recipe
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
Sugar Cookies in a Jar Directions
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl.
- Use whisk to combine well.
- Carefully add dry mix to quart sized jar. I like to use a canning funnel for less mess.
- Use a ladle to pack ingredients into jar.
- Add sprinkles or other decorations on top, if desired.
- Attach lid and label to jar.
- You can also add a cookie cutter, if desired.
How to Use the Sugar Cookies in a Jar Mix
To Make the Cookies:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Pour mixture from jar to large bowl. Cream one cup of butter, softened.
- Add in 2 eggs and one teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Chill prepared dough for one hour.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until edges begin to brown.
- You can decorate them with sugar before baking or frost after baking.
Easy Delicious Sugar Cookies in a Jar Recipe Mix
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cups white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
Sugar Cookie Mix
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl.
Use whisk to combine well.
Carefully add dry mix to jar. I like to use a canning funnel for less mess.
Use a ladle to pack ingredients into jar.
Add sprinkles or other decorations on top, if desired.
Attach lid and label to jar.
You can also add a cookie cutter, if desired.
Make The Sugar Cookies Using Mix
Pour mixture from jar to large bowl. Cream one cup of butter, softened.
Add in 2 eggs and one teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Combine wet and dry ingredients.
Chill prepared dough for one hour.
Roll out to 1/4 inch and cut into desired shapes.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until edges begin to brown.
You can decorate them with sugar before baking or frost after baking.