An amazing backyard vegetable garden may be easier than you think! No matter the space you have available, you can be growing your own food and supplement (or replacing) your produce shopping. Whether you have a few pots on an apartment porch or a 1/4 acres available, it is time to grow a backyard vegetable garden.
So whether you’re hoping to be completely self-sufficient or just grow your own tomatoes, I have tips you can use today!
How to Have an Amazing Backyard Vegetable Garden
Soil – The Foundation of an Amazing Backyard Vegetable Garden
Soil really is the foundation of a great garden. If you are not sure where to start, that’s ok, I have you covered. You can make your own compost, amend the soil you have or even create awesome potting soil.
- DIY Soil Mix – great for pots, raised beds and containers
- Awesome Soil Amendments – What you can add to your organic garden for a superior soil.
- How to Compost 101 – listen to this podcast from a master composter.
- How to Use Orange Peels for a Better Garden – Don’t toss those orange peels!
- Recycling Coffee Grounds in the Garden – You don’t need to toss those used grounds.
- Kitchen Composting – Tips for your counter top compost.
- Troubleshooting Your Compost Problems – Figure out what’s causing the problem and how to fix it.
- 10 Things You NEVER Want to Compost – A good list to follow.
- How to Use Rabbit Poop as Fertilizer – let me give you the scoop and poop.
- Improve Soil Without a Compost Pile – No room to compost? Check out these tips for improving your soil without a compost pile.
- Cheap & Easy DIY Compost Bin – Make it yourself for a fraction of the store bought one.
Seeds – Planting in Your Backyard Vegetable Garden
- How to Use Seeds and Transplants – Not sure when seeds or transplants are best? This is the guide for you!
- Cheap and Easy DIY Seed Starters – You don’t have to spend a fortune to start your seeds.
- Seed Catalogs You May Not Know But Should – Are you getting these catalogs?
Gardening Helpers for Your Backyard Vegetable Garden
- 8 Mistakes to Avoid in Your Backyard Garden – these are easy mistakes to make but even easier to avoid.
- Tips for Newbies – the best advice I can offer new gardeners.
- Benefits of a Raised Bed Garden – There are so many reasons a raised bed or square foot garden can work for you.
- DIY: How to Build a Cold Frame – The little greenhouse that will keep you growing in the colder months!
- Maximize Your Gardening Space – The biggest BANG for your buck.
- Life Lessons You Learn in the Garden – Gardening in your backyard offers more than tasty eats.
- DIY Twine Covered Pots – Jazz up those boring containers with this easy DIY.
- Why Every Child Should Be Gardening – Time to get the kids out there!
- How to Have the BEST Spring Garden Ever – all the tips you’ll need to make it a great harvest this year.
- The Best Vegetable to Grow in Pots – Even if you only have a patio available, you can garden!
- Garden Tools – What you need on hand for every project.
- Gardeners Hand Balm – DIY balm to keep your hands protected.
- How to Conserve Water – Tips to keep water waste low in your vegetable garden.
Specific Guides for Vegetables and Fruits in Your Backyard Vegetable Garden
- Easy to Grow – The easiest vegetable to grow for the newbie gardener.
- 25 Purple Fruits and Veggies to Add to Your Garden – color galore!
- Growing Summer Squash – Get ready for a variety of summer squash growing.
- How to Grow Corn – Jeweled to popcorn.
- How to Grow Artichokes – Get the butter melted, you’re going to need it.
- How to Grow Potatoes Anywhere!
- Curing & Long Term Potato Storage – how to keep your garden potatoes fresh.
- How to Grow Sweet Potatoes – a great warm vegetable garden addition.
- Growing Garlic in Your Backyard
- Growing Cantaloupe – You won’t ever want a store melon again.
- How to Grow Amazing Organic Tomatoes
- Harvesting Watermelons – How to pick the perfect watermelon every time.
- Growing Swiss Chard – A great versatile and easy to grow veggie.
Specific Guides for Growing Herbs in Your Backyard Garden
- What You Need to Know About Growing Mint – Mint is a great herb to grow but it can get out of hand fast, here are the tips you need to grow your own.
- 10 Herbs You Can Grow in Pots or Containers – Many herbs do wonderfully in smaller containers.
- Growing Chamomile in Your Garden – It isn’t just for tea.
- Everything You Need to Know to Grow Rosemary – A delicious and medicinal herb.
- Borage – How to grow and use borage.
- St. John’s Wort – How to grow it and its medicinal uses.
Natural Pest Control in Your Backyard Vegetable Garden
- Crop Rotation – For pest control and bigger harvests.
- Companion Planting – 10 best plants!
- Attracting Lady Bugs – they love to munch on the stuff that eats your garden.
- Why You Need Marigolds in Your Garden – awesome natural, and pretty, pest control.
- Aphid Control – How to deal with aphids in an organic garden.
Planting Guides by Month for Your Backyard Vegetable Garden
- January – Get ready for spring with the January planting guide.
- March – Everything you can plant in your zone this March.
- April – Spring planting is at hand. What to plant in April!
- May – Often the busiest planting month for so many zones.
- June – Summer garden, what to plant in June.
- July – It’s hot but you can still add to your garden.
- August – Fall is coming but you can still plant in August
- September – What to plant in September