What to stock up on in May, everything you need to buy in the month of May. MAY IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST LISTS OF YEAR! This is my huge shopping list of sales for stocking up on groceries and other items for the month of May. May is a great month to get amazing deals on seasonal produce, medications for allergies, May holiday items, appliances, pet products and so much more. May is filled with amazing shopping deals!!!
What Should I Buy Each Month?
A smart shopper follows sale cycles…or you can just come here each month to see my monthly lists of what to stock up on every month. Be sure to bookmark each month so you can come back for your grocery store shopping list:
Now you can have all 12 months of sale cycle / stock up lists to check anytime FYI: A sale cycle is how a store rotates discounts on particular items, generally store-wide. What’s great is that most stores follow the same sale cycles; so you can use this list and multiple stores.
Why Should I Stock-up?
You want to “stock-up” on items you and your family use regularly so that you get the deepest discount on those items. Instead of shopping stores for these items every time you run out (paying top prices), you’ll be “shopping” your storage, knowing you got the best price.
10 Tips to Know Before You Stockpile!
- Know what you need: inventory your pantry, freezer, cupboards, etc.
- Have a storage plan: where will you keep your stockpile? Make use of under-bed storage!
- Buy what you already use – don’t experiment because it’s discounted.
- Make a plan, make a list and know what you’re buying!
- Make sure food items have a long expiration date so they won’t go bad before you can use them.
- Consider buying more of items that have multiple purposes.
- Be prepared to shop several stores.
- Invest in a Food Saver for bulk buying and making smaller “packages”. Also will prevent freezer burn for your meats and vegetables. Also see: Vacuum Sealers What You Need to Know
- Make a budget, and stick to it. DO NOT USE CREDIT CARDS!
- Come armed with your coupons and all sales ads. Most stores will accept competitor coupons and offer to match sale prices. Having these can save your gas and time, driving from store to store.
How do I know if it is a good stockpile price?
That can vary but I generally want 50% off or more on grocery items. Now on bigger ticket things, you may not get that deep of a discount. We want rock bottom prices so make sure you checking online, ads and doing comparisons.
The List of What to Stock Up on in May
May’s Seasonal Produce to Buy
Fruits and Vegetables will be on Sale all month.
Beets (See: Growing Beets in Your Backyard)
Cantaloupe (See: How to Grow Cantaloupe)
Carrots (See: How to Preserve Carrots)
Corn (See: Growing Corn in Your Backyard)
Greens (mustard / collard)
Lettuce (See: How to Grow Lettuce)
Onions (See: Easy Pickled Onions Recipe)
Potatoes (See: How to Grow Potatoes Anywhere)
May Holiday Items to Stock Up On
Mexican Food for Cinco de Mayo
Cinco de Mayo is May 5th and foods for the traditional Mexican holiday will be at DEEP discounts.
Stock Up On These Items:
- Taco Seasonings
- Margarita Mixes (check tequila too)
- Mexican Beers like Corona and Pacifico
- Tortillas Chips
- Canned Refried Beans
- Frozen Mexican Entrees
- Shredded Cheeses (you can freeze this!)
- Pre-made Taco and Tostada Shells
- Nacho Cheese Sauce
Picnic and Grilling Foods for Memorial Day
Stock Up on These May Items:
- Hot Dogs
- Pre-Made Hamburgers (sometimes ground beef)
- Meats to Grill
- Condiments like ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise
- BBQ Sauce
- Bottled Water
- Supplies to make S’mores
- Pre-made pies (especially the all-American Apple and Cherry Pies!)
Grills, grilling tools and coolers may be on deep discounts in May too!
Paper Goods are on Sale in May too!
What to buy:
- Paper plates / bowls / platters
- Paper napkins
- Disposable cups
- Plastic forks, spoons, knives
Normally I’m not a fan or user of paper and disposable products, but they are nice to have on hand for emergencies.
Items for Graduates
What to look for:
- Party supplies for graduation parties
- Small kitchen items for dorms
- Mattresses will also be on big discounts in May
Pet Products on Sale in May
May 6th – May 12th is National Pet Week!
What is on sale for pets in May?
- Food for your pets
- Pet toys
- Pet housing
- Vets and groomers may also have specials running
Stock Up in May on Drugstore Items
Not just in drugstores! Stock up on:
- Suntan lotions
- Allergy medicines
- Bug repellent (Make Your Own DIY Bug Repellent Bars)
Great Cookie Sales in May Too
May 15th is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day! Look for these items to be on sale and to stock up on in May.
- Cookies (not just chocolate chip)
- Items to make cookies like flour, sugar, chocolate chips, etc.
- Pre-made cookie dough
Appliances and Household Items On Sale in May
- Refrigerators are at their deepest discounts (Home Depot offers low price guarantees!)
- Appliance bundles
- Mattresses (as mentioned above)
- Outdoor and patio furniture
May is Great for Off-Season Clothing
Stock up in May on winter and spring clothing items as the stores make room for summer clothes.
What to look for:
- Rain gear
- Winter and Spring sweaters
Make sure to check your local thrift stores for deals too as they will need to make room for an influx of new items not sold and yard sales.
May is a time for you to MAKE Money too!
May is typically the start of yard sale / garage sale season. Start cleaning out your house and have a tag sale to make money for your stock-up items.
What are your tips for creating a stockpile? Do you shop monthly sale cycles?
Share your tips in the comments below!