Do you have an incredibly difficult time getting enough sleep at night? The lack of sleep may cause you to feel too tired to be as productive as you want to be. Getting quality sleep at night is vital for several reasons.
Not only does it make you feel well-rested and energized enough to get through your day, but it is also imperative for your overall health and wellbeing. Let’s talk about how to get a better night’s sleep!
Why is sleep important?
Those who do not get nearly enough sleep each night have a greater chance of getting diagnosed with high blood pressure and diabetes. It can contribute to obesity and cause you to feel depressed.
Other effects of sleep deprivation:
- Memory Issues
- Impaired Judgement Making
- ADHD Symptoms
- Increased Heart Rate and long term sleep issues can lead to heart disease
- Lack of energy / drive
- Decreased reaction time / accuracy
Can lack of sleep make me gain weight?
Actually it can attribute to it! One of the ways this happens is that you will not produce enough of the “feel full” hormone leptin without enough quality sleep. This leaves your “hungry” hormone ghrelin to rise and you may be much hungrier.
How to Get a Better Night’s Sleep
If you want to feel good, both physically and mentally, you need to get the right amount of sleep each night. If you are not sure how to get enough rest, check out the following tips that will have you sleeping like a baby in no time.
Get Into a Bedtime Routine
Start by trying to get yourself into a bedtime routine or sleep schedule. If you think about it, when you have a newborn baby or toddler, you get them into a routine that prepares them for bed.
- You may give them a soothing bath, apply lotion to their body, give them a fresh diaper, and wrap them with their favorite blanket before placing them in their crib or bassinet. So, why not do something similar for yourself?
- You can start your bedtime routine about an hour before you plan to get into bed. Consider taking a warm bath or shower where you can wash your body and relax, relieving some of the stress of the day.
- After getting out of the shower, apply your favorite bedtime lotion that comforts you, get into a cozy pair of pajamas, and then slide into bed with your favorite blanket.
- If you feel comfortable, you should not have too hard of a time falling asleep and staying that way for as many hours as you have available to sleep.
Once you start a routine that works for you, it will become a habit that you get into and stick with for the long haul to improve your sleep patterns.
Avoid the Electronics For at Least Two Hours Before Bed
Make sure to avoid using electronics for at least two hours before you decide to go to bed.
The blue light that comes from certain electronics, including laptops, computers, tablets, and smartphones, can trick your brain into thinking that it is time for you to stay up and alert instead of making you feel tired.
If you stare at the screen too long because you are browsing social media or visiting certain websites, you may end up feeling more awake than you were before, which could keep you from getting the rest you need.
The best way to prevent any problems is to turn your phone on silent and log off the computer and tablets for the day. In the remaining two hours before bedtime, you can take your shower, read a good book, listen to music, or even do some cleaning in your bedroom.
Consider doing things that do not involve the use of electronics at all.
If you MUST use your electronics use some blue blocker glasses after the sun goes down to reduce the effects on your sleep.
Increase Your Comfort at Night
Try to get things to use in your bed that will increase your comfort. For example, if you tend to feel uncomfortable in your bed, it might be the right time to invest in a new mattress.
- If you plan to purchase a new mattress, make sure to go in person to test out different options and get a feel for them. You may come across a mattress that feels great and offers the support you would like to have for your back and body.
- Besides potentially getting a new mattress to increase your comfort, you should have cozy bed sheets that feel good against the skin and plenty of pillows to use when you want to rest your head.
- You might even want to think about purchasing a full-body pillow that you can place next to you when you plan on getting in bed.
Some people like to press their bodies against the pillow or wrap themselves around it to feel more secure and comfortable at night. Along with these changes, try to wear something comfortable to bed.
It does not matter if you choose to wear pajamas or a basic t-shirt and shorts, but make sure it is something that feels good on your body.
Use Natural Sleep Aids Before Getting Into Bed
Instead of becoming dependent on sleeping pills, you should try a few natural sleep aids before you get into bed. You can prepare yourself a cup of chamomile tea before you go to sleep.
- Chamomile tea tastes great and is known to induce sleep naturally. It is commonly used by people who struggle with insomnia and would like to feel tired enough to fall asleep on their own.
Try my homemade tea recipe to help you relax.
- Along with drinking a cup of chamomile tea before bed, consider using nighttime lotion for adults.
- The scent of lavender is one of several essential ingredients included in these lotions that promote better sleep.
Try making my all natural lavender bed mist.
- You can apply the cream to your entire body before you put your pajamas on and hop into bed.
- There are even vitamins that you can take before bed that will help your body adjust to the rest period, making it easier for you to fall asleep at night.
Getting More Sleep and Sleeping Better
If you have struggled to get a good night’s sleep, you may feel like you are paying for it both mentally and physically. If you always feel drained and worn out, you are not getting the right amount of rest you need.
When you would like to get a better night’s sleep, follow the tips mentioned above because they can make a huge difference for you.
The small changes you decide to make before bed will help you fall asleep a lot quicker and get the best sleep possible. Once you start getting enough rest, you will feel like an entirely different person with more than enough energy to get things done each day.
What are your tips on how to get a better night’s sleep?
More on Natural Health and Wellness
Home Remedies For a Sore Throat
Medicinal Garden What to Plant
CBD Benefits and Uses
10 Home Remedies For an Upset Stomach
The Benefits of Dandelion and How to Use It
Old Fashioned Home Remedies
The Best Medicinal Herbs to Always Have in the House
How to Make Herbal Immune Boosting Tea
How to Make and Use Calendula Oil
Dealing with Parasites: How to Heal Yourself