Instant Pot Gumbo is a classic Cajun dish that has been around for centuries. It’s a hearty and filling stew that can be made with shrimp, chicken, andouille sausage, or any other protein you like. The best part is that it’s incredibly easy to make in the Instant Pot!
What is gumbo?
Gumbo is a hearty stew that originated in Louisiana. It typically includes meat, (commonly sausage or chicken), seafood, and vegetables like okra and tomatoes. The name “gumbo” comes from the Bantu words for okra, which is called ki ngombo in Swahili, a widely spoken language in many parts of West Africa.
Tips for Making The Best Instant Pot Gumbo
Making gumbo is not as difficult as it may seem. There are a few steps that you can take to ensure that your gumbo will be perfect every time. Here are some tips for making the best gumbo:
1. Use high-quality ingredients. The quality of your ingredients will have a big impact on the taste and texture of your gumbo. Make sure to choose fresh and flavorful ingredients, like lean meats, sturdy vegetables, and aromatic spices.
2. Use the right techniques. There are a few specific techniques that will make your gumbo come together perfectly, including properly cleaning and cutting your ingredients, sautéing them before adding them to the pot, and ensuring that the stock is seasoned correctly.
3. Let your gumbo simmer. Having a good, long simmer before you serve it will help to deepen the flavor of your gumbo and ensure that all of the ingredients are fully cooked through. Be sure to let your gumbo simmer for at least an hour to get great results.
By following these tips, you should be able to make the best gumbo that your family or friends have ever tasted. Whether you are a seasoned gumbo-maker or it is your first time trying this dish, try these tips and see how much better your next batch of gumbo tastes.
What Should I Serve With Gumbo?
Gumbo is a hearty stew that is perfect for warming you up on a cold winter night. This dish pairs well with any number of side dishes, including some of the following options:
- Fresh bread or biscuits. When served with gumbo, bread and biscuits soak up all of the delicious flavor in this dish, making them a perfect pairing.
- Rice or noodles. Add a side of rice or noodles to your gumbo to make the meal more filling. You can also use cooked pasta for a unique twist on this classic dish.
- Salad or coleslaw. A fresh, light salad will help balance out the richness of the gumbo and adds some much-needed color to the meal.
- Cornbread muffins. Cornbread is another great option for pairing with gumbo because it has a light and fluffy texture that makes it perfect for soaking up all of the delicious flavors in this dish.
- Steamed or roasted vegetables. To make your gumbo a full meal, serve it with steamed or roasted vegetables on the side. Broccoli, carrots, and green beans are all great options for pairing with gumbo.
More Soup Recipes
Instant Pot Gumbo
- 1 package andouille sausage sliced
- 12 oz extra small shrimp
- 1 diced onion
- 1 diced diced onion
- 4 tbsp minced garlic
- 10 oz frozen okra sliced
- 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tsp gumbo
- 1 tbsp Tony’s Chachere’s creole seasoning
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
Set the instant pot to sauté and toss in sausage. Brown the sausage. Once sausage is browned, remove and deglaze the instant pot with a splash of chicken broth.
Add the oil and flour and stir to create a roux. Slow to cook and thicken for 10 minutes. Add the onion, garlic and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes
Add the sausage, spices, broth, okra, tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce.
Seal the lid and pressure valve and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
Manually release pressure and add the shrimp, let it cook for five minutes.