What to stock up on in August. What to buy in August for the biggest savings. This huge list will make it easier for you to know what to buy all month long for massive savings.
I started the What to Stock Up on series awhile back but never did the fall months. That is a shame because the late summer and fall deals are amazing! I have had several requests so rest assured August, September and October sales will be coming FINALLY!
Be sure to see the printable list at the end!
Stock Up Sales Lists by Month
Tips for What to Stock Up On in August
Shopping Sale Cycles – Time to Buy
Stocking up in August, or any month, really comes down to shopping the sale cycles. What is a sale cycle you ask? This is how stores generally circulate their sales items by areas of interest. Almost all stores follow this general rotation so once you know what’s on sale you can apply this to many different stores.
What is stocking up?
This is simply the act of over-buying on sale items. Now these are items that we use all or most of the year so having multiples on stock won’t be an issue. Instead of buy items each week or month we buy for a quarter, bi-yearly or for the entire year. This will greatly depend on your budget and space to store said items. Buying this way keep us from paying top dollar!
How do I know it is a stock up price?
This will depend greatly on the item/s that you are purchasing. And if you’re buying a big ticket (1 item) or groceries (multiples). I shoot for 50% off or more but larger items like appliances may not offer that big of a discount.
I’m broke, how am I supposed to stockpile?
First NEVER use a credit card to stock up on anything. Debt NEVER saves you money. Look for other ways to reduce your budget to allow for extra spending on sale items. Can you cut going out for coffee and make it at home? Cut cable? You know your budget better than anyone.
Do I need tons of coupons to stockpile?
Coupons can help but NO you don’t have to cut coupons for these savings. I am not a huge fan of coupons anymore (see 5 Reasons I Quit Using Coupons ). If you do happen to have a coupon that deepens the discount on the list, use it!
More Stocking Up Tips
- Don’t buy what you don’t already use on a regular basis.
- Check our spaces – do you have room to store new items?
- Be sure to check the expiration dates before you buy food items.
- Organize your pantry by earliest to latest expiration dates.
- NO CREDIT CARDS! See How to Get Debt Free!
- Check coupons you have for additional savings when available.
August is Also National Garage Sale Month
This time of year is the perfect for holding a garage sale and making some money to fund your stockpile efforts.
What to Buy in August List
Buy Seasonal Produce
- Corn on the cob
- Green Beans
Remember you can freeze or can many of these items for later use.
- Peanut butter
- Pudding cups
- Crackers and other snack items
- BBQ Sauce
- Ice Tea Bags (usually the last month of these)
- Granola Bars and Cereal Granola Bars
(see how to make your own granola here)
- Shelf stable yogurts
- Fruit snacks
Food for Your Refrigerator and Freezer
- Hot Dogs
- Frozen breakfast items like pancakes and waffles
- Deli meats
Non Food Items
- Hand Sanitizers and other antibacterial items
- Storage bags
- Lunch packing items like ice packs and paper bags
- Lysol Wipes and Sprays
- Toys and Games are a great buy this month and will be near Black Friday shopping prices
- Summer clothes will drop dramatically this month
- Swimsuits and cover-ups
- Pool Towels
- Dorm Room Necessities
- Even some furniture will be at deep discounts
- Printer paper
- Post It Notes
- ALL SCHOOL SUPPLIES – I have a separate article on how to Stockpile School Sales Supplies. Even good for those who don’t have kids in school!
Technology Items to Buy in August
- Amazon devices will be at their lowest until the holiday shopping season!
- Kindle, Fire Tablets
- Fire Cube
- Echo Show
- Laptops will have deep discounts too but the best sales are during Black Friday.
- Outdoor Furniture
- Lawn and Pool Maintenance Items
- Grills and Smokers
Buying in August
So what to stock up on in August? There are so many choices! If your budget allows you can find a huge amount of savings in the month of August when things are at rock bottom prices! Remember to read all the tips I shared above and here is a printable list for you!