What to stock up on in September for the biggest and best deals. Every month I like to give you a list of the best sales or what to buy in September. This is based on years of shopping sale cycles and stockpiling.
September is full of great deals from apples to snacks to gardening supplies. Make sure to read the entire list so you don’t miss a thing!
What to Stock Up on in September
September Sales Tips
If you find free items that you will not use, consider getting them for donation.
- These buys are based on sales cycles. Many times a store offer lost-leaders (losing money on an item) to get you into the store so that you’ll buy more.
- Don’t buy anything you don’t truly need, for now or in the future.
- Evaluate your space! Where will you store your stockpile? Stocking up on foods is great but you have to have a place to put it.
- Organize, evaluate and list before shopping.
- Be sure to check expiration dates first! Make sure you’re going to be able to use food items before they expire.
- Organize your pantry by earliest to the front and latest expiration dates to the back.
- Always stock things with multiple purpose, when you can.
- Plan to shop at several stores and sales for the best deals.
- You can find sales and stockpiling deals online if it has free shipping is you save gas and time.
- Don’t blow your monthly budget! If stockpiling isn’t in your budget check out How to Stockpile for $10 a Week.
- I highly recommend investing in a Food Saver to increase your storage time and put things is smaller increments. These are great for big bulk buying and work for pantry, refrigerator and freezer.
- Check store coupons – most stores will honor competitor prices and coupons!
- NEVER ACQUIRE DEBT! If you use credit cards you really aren’t saving yourself any money in the long run.
Stock Up Sales Lists by Month
Each month is filled with great sales specific to that month!
- September – you’re here!
- October – coming soon!
September Food Holidays
Many restaurants and stores will run specials around these foods this month!
September 1: National Gyro Day
September 2: National “Grits for Breakfast” Day
September 2: International Bacon Day
September 3: National Welsh Rarebit Day
September 3: National Baby Back Ribs Day
September 4: National Macadamia Nut Day
September 5: National Cheese Pizza Day
September 6: National Coffee Ice Cream Day
September 7: National Beer Lover’s Day
September 8: National Date-Nut Bread Day
September 9: National “I Love Food” Day
September 10: National Hot Dog Day
September 11: National Hot Cross Bun Day
September 12: National Chocolate Milkshake Day
September 13: National Peanut Day
September 14: National Cream-Filled Doughnut Day
September 15: National Double Cheeseburger Day
September 15: National Crème de Menthe Day
September 15: National Linguini Day
September 16: National Cinnamon-Raisin Bread Day
September 17: National Apple Dumpling Day
September 17: National Monte Cristo Day
September 18: National Play-Dough Day
September 18: National Cheeseburger Day
September 19: National Butterscotch Pudding Day
September 20: National Punch Day / Rum Punch Day
September 21: National Pecan Cookie Day
September 22: National Ice Cream Cone Day
September 23: National White Chocolate Day
September 24: National Cherries Jubilee Day
September 25: National Lobster Day
September 25: National Food Service Workers Day
September 26: National Key Lime Pie Day
September 27: National Chocolate Milk Day
September 28: National Strawberry Cream Pie Day
September 28: National Drink a Beer Day
September 29: National Coffee Day
September 29: National Mocha Day
September 30: National Mulled Cider Day
September is also National Chicken Month, National Rice Month and National Potato Month.
Fresh Food to Stockpile in September
If you like to can, dehydrate or have freeze space, you can stock up on these seasonal produce in September.
- Acorn squash
- Apples (not just grocery stores, check with your local farmers!)
How to Dehydrate Apples
Crockpot Apple Butter Recipe
- Butternut squash
Butternut Squash Chili Recipe
- Cantaloupe and other melons
- Green Beans
How to Make & Use Mushroom Powder
50 Pumpkin Recipes To Enjoy This Fall
- Sweet Potatoes
- Tomatoes – be sure to try making Tomato Powder
Other Foods to Stock Up on in September
Lunch packing items and snacks will be on sale in September because it is that time of the year. Breakfast foods will be marked down, as well as frozen foods. With Labor Day in early September bbq / grilling items will also be on sale. This is a great time to stock up on shelf stable foods.
- Peanut Butter
- Frozen Breakfast Items like waffles
- Cereal (hot and cold)
- Granola Bars
- Hot Dogs
- Hamburger Patties
- Steaks and Other Grilling Meats (great time to fill up your freezer!)
- Canned Soups
- Canned Tomatoes
- Condiments, last month to really stock up on ketchup, mustard, relish and the like
Later in the month as fall arrives these items will be on sale:
- Coffee, including k-cups
**National Coffee Day is Sept. 29 so many of your favorite coffee houses will offer a free cup of coffee on that day!
- Hot Chocolate
- Apple Cider
Buy in September Personal and Hygiene Items
These items often have additional coupons you can add on for even bigger savings.
- Shaving Cream / Gel
- Hand Sanitizer ( or make your own DIY Hand Sanitizer )
What to Stock Up on in September Gardening, Camping Gear & Outdoors
- Sleeping Bags
- Camp Stoves
- Garden tools
- Gardening gloves
- Grass Clippers
- Lawnmowers – one of the BEST months to buy them!
- Pots and Potting Soils
- Seeds – I HIGHLY recommend checking out Seeds Now
- Grills & Smokers – the stores need to clear these out for cold weather items.
- Outdoor Furniture
What to Buy in September Clothes & School Supplies
- Kids clothing will have BIG sales this month
*Shop for your kid’s next sizes and save for the following year
- Summer clearance on clothing, shoes and bathing suits
- Jeans or denim usually goes on sale around the start of the school year
- School supplies will still be on sale, check out Back to School Sales What You Need to Stockpile.
Household Items and Furniture to Buy in September
- Appliances: September has a lot of great deals on washers, dryers, dishwashers, refrigerators and stoves as they make room for new models
- Mattresses & Linens are on sale over Labor Day
- Lunch boxes and food storage items like Tupperware.
September is a great month for stockpiling. I hope this list helps you to stock up in September! There are so many money saving deals every month, be sure to come back to check out every month’s sales.