What to stock up on in October – everything to buy in the month of October for the biggest and best deals. I have compiled a HUGE list that is easy to scan for the things you need.
This list can be used to fill your emergency pantry and supplies or just put away a little for a rainy day.
What to Stock Up on in October
Consider buying discounted items or
getting freebies for local charities as well.
Fall brings on lots of wonderful new stock-up items. October has some great deals to be offered to the careful and informed shopper.
There, of course, are tons of food options on sale but also medications, linens, clothing and more! So be sure to scroll through the whole list! It is time to stock up for the fall.
Stock Up Sales Lists by Months of the Year
Each month is filled with great sales specific to that month!
This and all my “stock up on” posts are based on the sale cycle for that month.
How do you know what to buy each month?
What to stock up on in October or any month is mainly based in sale cycles and promotions.
A sale cycle is a rotation of certain items being on sale store-wide. For example, October is National Pizza and Seafood Month. So based on this and other seasonal factors, stores will have the best deals on those items.
Sales cycles typically cycle around every 6 – 8 weeks. So you’ll want to buy enough of those items to last you and your family until the items come back around on sale. This is the lowest price you’ll find for those items.
Your coupons will be combined with sale cycles so can get items at the cheapest price for the year and often for FREE. If you’re building a stockpile than this is the way you want to shop for sure!
Check Out All the October Food Holidays
You can bet stores will take advantage of many of these “food holidays” to bring you specials and sales!
- October 1 – World Vegetarian Day
- October 2 – National Fried Scallops Day
- October 3 – National Taco Day
See my recipe for DIY Taco Seasoning
- October 4 – National Taquito Day
- October 5 – National Apple Betty Day
- October 6 – National Noodle Day
Easy All Natural Macaroni and Cheese
- October 7 – National Frappe Day
- October 8 – National Pierogi Day
- October 9 – National Dessert Day & Submarine-Hoagie-Hero-Grinder Day
- October 10 – National Angel Food Cake Day
- October 11 – National Sausage Pizza Day
- October 12 – National Pumpkin Pie Day
50 Pumpkin Recipes To Enjoy This Fall
- October 13 – National M&M Day
- October 14 – National Dessert Day
Vintage Pie Recipes You and Your Family Will Love
- October 15 – National Mushroom Day & National Red Wine Day
How to Make and Use Mushroom Powder
- October 16 – National World Food Day
- October 17 – National Pasta Day
- October 18 – National Chocolate Cupcake Day
- October 19 – National Seafood Bisque Day
- October 20 – National Brandied Fruit Day
- October 21 – National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day
- October 22 – National Nut Day
How to Make Homemade Almond Extract
- October 23 – National Boston Cream Pie Day
- October 24 – National Bologna Day
- October 25 – National Greasy Foods Day
- October 26 – National Pumpkin Day
- October 27 – National Potato Day
How To Make The Best Baked Potato Soup
- October 28 – National Chocolate Day
Dark Chocolate Raspberry Scone Recipe
- October 29 – National Oatmeal Day
Homemade Granola Recipe
- October 30 – National Candy Corn Day
- October 31 – National Caramel Apple Day
Fresh Foods and Seasonal Produce to Buy in October
Be sure to see my tips on dehydrating apples and my Crockpot Apple Butter Recipe
Use it on my Instant Pot Beef & Broccoli Recipe!
- Brussels sprouts
How to Cook Brussel Sprouts in 3 minutes
See How to Preserve Pumpkin
See Butternut Squash Chili Recipe
- Sweet Potatoes
Grow Sweet Potatoes
Frozen Foods to Stock Up on in October
- Frozen Seafood like fish, shrimp (fresh crab and lobster too)
- Frozen pre-made pizzas and pizza crusts
- Frozen tacos
Canned & Boxed Foods to Buy in October
- Canned soups and stews, fall easy comfort foods for busy nights
- Coffee will continue to be at a great discount this month
- Cake Mixes
- Baking staples like flour, sugar and spices
- Taco fixings like shells, tortillas, salsa and more (National Taco Day is October 3rd)
- Pizza making ingredients (remember it is National Pizza Month)
- Towards the end of the month you can stock up on Halloween candy (great for stocking stuffers in December!)
- PETS – cat food will be on sale in October
Clothing to Stock Up on in October
Fall brings in the cooler weather and deals start popping up on clothing like:
- Last closeouts on summer clothes may still be available too
- Late in the month you’ll start seeing costumes on sale. I made a dress up boxes for my kids for as Christmas Presents one year with these sales.
Wait to buy boots because those will be at the deepest discount after Thanksgiving during Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales.
Household Items to Buy in October
- Cleaners like dish soap (cheapest you’ll find it all year!)
- Linens will be marked down, especially for Columbus Day Sales
- Batteries, clocks & smoke alarms (everyone is checking & changing these for daylight savings)
- Fall and Halloween decorations, towards the end of the month.
- Cold and flu medications will be discounted as well as humidifiers
- Baking items will be discounted too as we head into the holiday season
Other Items to Stock Up on in October
- Closeouts and clearance on camping gear
- Most stores will offer last second clearance on pool supplies early in the month
- Patio furniture
- Bikes, helmets and other cycling gear will be on sale this month
- Closeouts and fan and room air conditioners
Stockpiling in October is great for saving money. Always shop monthly sales for rock bottom prices all year long.
Make a note of the things on this list you need for your house and pantry. And be sure to come back next month to Stock Up In November And Save Big!